Help find RUF eks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

"when life throws you a curve ball it is how you catch it that counts"
Here's to a great New Year, Johnny B.

And here's hoping that perseverance of yours is something you'll always have.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think i have replied to this on another thread,can't remember right now,so,
JB,get in touch with HP Lieb in Pffaf, he could help you,he has changed for me the EKS i have had in my car to a short ratio manual last summer,he might still have it...
Old 12-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Johnny B
Rennlist Member

thank guys

elbeee964 I think I am just a stubborn swine as I refuse to let this injury beat me, after all its only a broken neck. I train 2-3 times a day 6 days a week and have done for 4 years now. I sure anyone would if they had an RSR replica and original turbo cup to drive, surely
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Johnny B
Rennlist Member

thanks Nicu

have contacted RUF awaiting response but think the system may just be to expensive
Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other possibillity is to adapt Quaife gearbox on your car ......

contact www.bsmotorsport.co.uk.
Neil Bainbridge is a great guy.

harris
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Johnny B
Rennlist Member

thanks for info I will check it out
Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps you have already seen this on EBay. No affiliation, just trying to help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM
gav965
AutoX

Had the EKS in my car replaced by Ruf (Germany) this summer. I've had the car for over 10 years and for the first 7 it ran perfect! I really liked it: easy to drive and could take some punishment.

The last 3 or so years it was nothing but a PITA. The first problem actuator unit was shipped to and reconditioned by Ruf and fitted by a so called Ruf expert in the UK. Car never felt the same, more to do with the setup I think. 3 years later same old problem (actuator), after speaking with HP at Ruf we decided to get it converted to standard clutch.

When I went to collect my car they were explaining that the parts are no longer in production and they only have limited supplies also, hence persuading customers to go manual.

The ebay link is everything you need to install it, but it looks like doesn't include the software to setup the sensors and the actuator - as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Johnny B
Rennlist Member

Thanks for info guys, have seen that one on ebay and was advised it was missing important parts so a no go. I have heard both good and bad reports about the EKS, mainy good to be honest and a lot of the few bad ones look like they could have been resolved with simple software maintainance. The fact that it is an old system, spares are not always available and RUF is very far from South-Africa are all major concerns, coupled with the fact that if I found one it sounds like it would be to expensive and option.

However as this could mean I get to drive my RSR with a manual feel, the search must go on and we all live in hope, always worth dreaming about and gives me something to work towards.

thanks once again for the info.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 PM
rob964.c4
Instructor

from yhe ebay link is that al the hardware you need, i thought it was a different gear box

robert
Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

what about a hand Clutch? - Zinardi is running something like this in his race car now. He does have use of one of his legs for the brake pedal though.
here is some info on his system - it might be a place to start
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7048323
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Johnny B
Rennlist Member

rob964.c4 you do need gearbox and other important bits that the one on ebay is missing so it is a no go

Cupcar#12, wow thanks that article on Zinardi is very interesting, I current drive an auto so use my left leg to acelerate and brake, works for daily driving may not yet be quick enough for race track driving. My left hand is very strong and could easily change gears and I may be able to move a clutch lever with my right hand if it were on the steering wheel and power assisted. We raced a number of years ago before the accident with a paraplegic driver who had everything converted for hand use as his legs did not work at all. He was faster than most normal drivers but his system only work in cars with auto type gearboxes.

eks or something similar sounds like the right way to go but one always has to consider costs

Quick Reply: Help find RUF eks