Time to introduce the NEW 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to introduce the NEW 964

I'm not as much of a regular as I used to be on the boards but I still don't feel my new 964 is 'official' until I have formally introduced it to you layabouts!

I have had the car in my possession for a few months now but held off posting it here as I hadn't officially bought it yet.

What's really extra special about this car is how I came by it:

Back in July a drunk driver in a monster pick-up truck came at me and my kids head-on in the wrong lane at 9:30am on the way to my kids swim practice. I was driving my C4 that I drove daily and really loved to bits. The car was totaled.

The cops agreed that the power of the car in moving out of the way and its strength in withstanding the impact saved our lives, especially that of my eldest daughter sat in the front passenger seat.

My pride and joy was destroyed. It had saved our lives but was now wrecked...

The driver 'did a runner' and escaped over the freeway bridge and hid in a supermarket until the cops caught him an hour or two later (I pictured him crouching behind some cereal display or a tower of beans or something!) There were fire-engines, a couple of ambulances and lots of cops. Loads of people in the gym across the street saw the accident and ran out onto the street to gawk. The police shut the street down and cordoned it off, making it all seem very dramatic, especially for my 3 small children.

It was total chaos and it was so difficult trying to look after my kids as well as talk to cops, paramedics, witnesses etc. The first cops there were rather unhelpful and initially acted like jerks demanding I talk to them first even though I asked if I could just take care of my kids for a minute and call my wife to come and get them.

Thankfully the local fire chief arrived in his truck and basically told the cops to buck-up and wait their turn. He then took me to my kids then took them to the paramedics and waited with them, gave them stickers and coloring stuff out of his truck and told me he would stay and help me until everything was sorted. Seriously this guy had everything but a red cape!

After my wife arrived and took the kids and the reprobate who hit me had been tracked down and arrested, the road reopened and everybody left, the same fire chief then took me aside and said that if I couldn't get the car fixed he had a '91 C2 that he wanted to sell but had taken off the market because he couldn't bear to part with it to a stranger. He told me he kept it garaged and covered and drove it once a month if he was lucky. Unfortunately it sounded the complete opposite of what would appeal to my taste in 911's: a tiptronic cab in amazon green.

Two weeks later he then brought the car over from his house (2 hours away) and let me test drive it...for a week! The car itself was stunning. The interior like it just left the factory, with every (and I mean EVERY) stamp in the book from the dealer since day one. I just couldn't believe how lovely it was. Even my wife was in love with it. In fact I was very sad when the week was over and it had to be returned. I had withdrawal symptoms for days!

He then called me sometime later and asked how I was doing. I must have grumbled that my rental car had to be returned because the following week he brought the Porsche over and told me to use it until I either bought it or bought another car. Told me just to return it if I didn't need it anymore...no questions asked!!! Simply unbelievable!

Ultimately I bought it of course but for such a low price I still feel wretchedly guilty. My insurance didn't settle for 4 months and he 'lent' me the car for all that time without batting an eye lid. I like to think that someday I will think of a way to say a better thank-you to him.

So that's the 'story' behind the new 964 and yet more kindness from a fellow Porsche owner (incidentally, something I've not been a stranger to over the years since I got my C4). I figured this all just had to be fate. Finally someone 'up there' was giving me a break!

About the car....it is totally stock. It has chrome wheels that I would usually turn my nose up at but its so well preserved and completely unmolested I have decided not to change a single thing and continue to keep it in the tradition that the PO started. It will always remain a garage queen...but one that gets driven a lot. Knowing where the car came from and how it was cared for and what a fantastic person the previous owner was makes this car feel very special.

A few weeks ago Randy Leffingwell (Author of 'Perfection by Design' and many other Porsche books) photographed the car for use in one, or maybe two, of his upcoming projects. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of his pictures at some stage.

Anyway, talking of pics, you probably came in expecting to see some...

Sorry for all the rambling but now the new car has finally been given its formal rennlist introduction and is officially a member of our family and the rennlist one too.

Cheers,

--H
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

very nice! I love it....

did you repaint the underside of the rockers, or remove the black?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you! And no, they have never been touched as far as I can tell. My C4 had no black either.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks stunning - great story and congrats. Glad you and the kids are okay too.

Marc
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the 928S rims... If you ever want to trade drop me a note...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:38 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

good, late night story. magic story.

Hats off to that first noble soldier, now gone.
"...I'll tell you one more thing. You know when (Carrera) reared up against that truck?
...you know what I think? I think that damned (car) cared for you so much, that it was tryin' to protect you."

And to your new cab:

Keep Those Wheels! If for nothing other than period concourse -- but hang on to 'em.
(What would compliment them perfectly? A: Buffing that stainless exhaust tip to a chrome shine, too. Eww, baby, baby!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Great story, beautiful car!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

I missed this completely - wow - glad you are Ok and hats off to the PO......what a great car....although I am not sure about the wheels tbh I do find that I miss my 964 every so often - I am hoping that it will go away with time - I really haven't got space for 3 cars as the GT3 is staying.....its a Mk1 you know.....the sequels are never as good as the original
Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing that great story (apart from the crash part).

Whats your feeling on the tip now as you would not have gone for it originaly?

Something about the wheels that give the cab a bit of a 356 look.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Great story. Bad luck but, with a great ending. What an amazing guy the PO was.

"Something about the wheels that give the cab a bit of a 356 look."

I thought exactly the same thing; especially the side on shot. Rather like it and Amazon is a nice colour on the 964
Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Howard - what a great story; shame about the old 964 of course, but so glad it saved your loved ones.

What happened to the gearshift..was it saved? (Of course it can't be put on the new 'tip, but should have been saved surely) ;-)
Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 AM
breale01
Racer

Beautiful and thanks for sharing. I'm particularly enraptured by the wheels. Can you provide more info like width/offsets?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Great story. I am amazed whenever I read about what a hit these cars can take, and hope I never find out. Glad you are all okay, and enjoy the cab. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice report! Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

All is well that ends well. I'm glad the car saved your lives and you are now happy with the new acquisition. A great story, and what a great guy that fire chief is!

Welcome back to the fold, I hope you enjoy your new cab for many years to come. I also like the 928 wheels!

Quick Reply: Time to introduce the NEW 964