Sponsored by:

Am I thinking straight on this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Am I thinking straight on this?

First, I have been off the site for a while mainly with a family death and secondly spending web time researching for my Alfa vintage race car project. But along the way I have come to the decision that I need more track time than I currently get vintage racing just 6 times a year. There are a number of groups I can spend more track time with but the first requirement for me is a reliable car and no trailer required.

But most importantly is to make this help my vintage track times in my front engine rwd cars. So I am thinking on top of not wanting to destroy my near perfect C2 that this is not the perfect car for my goal. So I have been looking at E30 M3's as the power to weight is very close to my vintage cars, same layout, pretty reliable and most important not loaded down with weight. Might go to the first year E36 as the 6 has hydraulic lifters.

Am I right on this line? The C2 will most probably have to go to a friend as there is no more room for another car.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an extensive amount of experience with the E30 M3 platform. Good car. The engines are on the expensive side to rebuild. The 2.3l engine does not have a lot of power and it certainly is a car that will help build your skill level. The e36 platfom is less raw than the e30 and the engine has oiling issues that can affect the longevity of the engine when tracked.

Quick Reply: Am I thinking straight on this?