Sponsored by:

Nervous - give me a push? -- UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nervous - give me a push? -- UPDATE

So I've been looking at a 1990 c4 and I've now come to decision time about the car and need some help.

Car has been in Florida most of its life, owned for the last 6 years by a neurotic PCA club member who is now deceased. Car is now being sold by the owner's girlfriend's son, on behalf of the estate. Has 105K mi. Asking $18.5.

The car is far from me so I sent my college roommate to check it out. He's not a Porsche guy, but he knows how to look at cars. The problem is that the seller is unwilling to take the car for a PPI because he would have to drive it about 50mi each way and the registration has expired. (Has no problem if I can get someone to come to him).

Thoughts? Should I risk it w/o the PPI or is that just asking for trouble? He doesn't seem to be willing to negotiate price much.

Here's what I know:

The good:

Prior mechanic verified that the owner was meticulous and the car was in good shape when he last saw it 16 mos ago.

Nice color, cosmetics seem pretty good. Couple of chips and scratches. Usual shifter wear and carpet dirt/fade, but bolsters have been repaired.

New clutch, front brakes, CV boots, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, valve cover gaskets, belts and syncro work in the last 10K mi.

A/C already converted to R134a

The bad:

The car is now unregistered, so the seller refuses to take the car to a shop for a PPI. (He'd have to drive about 50mi each way).

The tires show more wear on the outside than inside. (Wheels are 17" Cup 1, no record of suspension replacement so it's probably original). Friend reported ride as a little harsh.

Shimmy in the front end around 30-50 mph.

There has previously been some issues with the A/C that are apparently(?) resolved now.

The unclear:

Last "tune-up" at 87K mi.

Record that show indication that the right side sill "dips" and was epoxied back.

Tie-Rods in 2004. (This is the last known alignment as well).

Thanks!!

Arun

Last edited by patela; 11-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a PPI imo.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

P-P-I.

If it's near any population center, there ought to be a way to get somebody to at least come out and take a look at it. If this guy was a member, maybe the local PCA would hook you up with somebody.

It's got enough going for it that I might go for it without an inspection, but the bizarro tire wear, the shimmy and the sill repair (whatever in the heck they're talking about there - the plastic rocker piece or the actual door sill?) give me the *******.

Lotta cars out there to choose from right now.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

A) "Prior mechanic verified that the owner was meticulous"
B) last tune-up was 18k miles ago w/ current pieces not working all that stellar...

A + B =

Other than the word of the prior mechanic (who hasn't major wrenched on this car in an automotive coon's age), the no-relation 'son' (who gets the heeby-jeebies if asked to drive this now-unregistered car off the premises of this [liquidating?] estate), or reports of 30 mph wheel shimmying... and [let's see -- have I left anything out? -- oh!] ... and you haven't seen this car yourself... um, given this, why in particular is this car 'speaking' to you?

I'm in a darker mood this evening, so take my grumpiness with a grain of salt... but, man, if you were my friend, I wouldn't be pushing, I'd be pulling you -- away.
And if you were a GOOD friend, I'd be smackin' you up the back of your head "for dragging me out here to look at this Sunset Blvd.-storyline car. Let's go grab a beer and find you a real deal 964."

So, what's this car done to catch your eye? Color? some peculiar style? Is this your first 911? (If so, I'd really guide you away from this one... Please. Unless there's some super-compelling reason you haven't mentioned. Like, "the shimmying's from a front trunk-full of bullion bars overloading the suspension.")

[damn... I'm under Tessa, again. Would that dreams are made of... grrrrrr]
Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have it towed to a proper shop for a VERY thorough PPI or pass on this one.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by patela
Record that show indication that the right side sill "dips" and was epoxied back.
Im guessing this is the shark fin clip that is famous for being broken off. I epoxied mine back on.

Car needs a PPI.

If the owner is a member of AAA they could have it towed in or get a temp DMV permit to take it in for the PPI. Unless the car is unusual, rare or the perfect car you have been looking for it sounds like you need to keep looking.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

The car is speaking to me because it's a blue C4 (with airbags) which seems to be more rare than live turkeys in the vicinity of Sarah Palin, and the asking price isn't 28K because it's "rare and perfect."

It IS my first Porsche, but I've been training on an A4 whose repair budget has been $2500+ annually for the last several years. (Actually, my old mechanic who also works on aircooled Pcars told me I might as well get a 911 as it wouldn't cost any more to maintain than my particular beast).

My buddy only got to it Saturday afternoon, so until then, I'd been hearing about how good the car was. To be sure, the prior mechanic last worked on the car in July 07, and the owner died in Feb. '08, so he'd seen it relatively recently.

Unfortunately, the PCA angle probably won't work. He was a PCA member in Florida and the car's now near Cincinnati, near the IN border. Interesting thought about AAA, though?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:20 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

where is it in Florida. There are a lot of us rennlisters around these parts.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Car belonged to a guy named Markus Idselies in Orlando. Was serviced at Zotz Garage. Car is now in Cincinnati, Ohio where Markus is from and the seller lives.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Alternately, if anyone knows of another blue, green or silver c4, I'm taking suggestions...
Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Yup, PPI would seem the prudent route.
From the quick description of the car, you could drop $1500 into wear & tear issues right off the bat at your shop.
A competent PPI could warn whether that's $5-10k, instead.

My usual advice would be to try out a few, even in colors you hate. (Especially if you hate! -- your heart isn't distracting w/ those) Driving a 3.2 ('84-89), a 964, a Boxster S (2000+), a tepid 993. Sometimes the romance of the notion doesn't jibe with the reality of the drive. (All, though, have approx. similar maintenance costs.)

But your heart is on display, so do the PPI, eat your veggies, and good luck, Kneecap!

I used to haunt Autotrader and craig's list for months before I came upon mine.
(And because it wasn't the color I originally was looking for, it took me another month of self-convincing after the first test drive (100 miles away) to finally relent.)
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Sage advice Lonnie, much appreciated.

I've looked at a few 964s and passed due to large potential gremlins, and am currently passing on a 993 in presumably good condition b/c of color (and the additional cost).

Have thought about trying out something as you describe. Unfortunately, in California, the 8.5% sales tax applies car sales, both in and out of state, so trying out is not cheap.

Also found out that AAA towing is not an option. They specifically say that service is for roadside emergency only, not for transportation of cars to shop for non-emergency purpose.

Last edited by patela; 11-25-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: ADDED COMMENT
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Bought mine while living in San Diego! -- I know of this tax of which you speak!

I meant 'test drives'. Had a *very* nice Boxster S test drive from the P-dealer across the street from Miramar marine air station. Told me all I ever needed to know about Boxster S's. [it told me: Never race against one!] But it left me too 'uninvolved'. I cut my teeth on my '85. And you never get over your first 911. (sigh)
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting situation with that car in Florida. My thoughts are this, a shimmy at 30-40 mph is not normal. The ride should be pretty stiff. In terms of color you can't get to picky with it. There are a lot of nice Porsches, well maintained Porsches that you might pass on because "its not your color." If I were you look at local cars and see what moves you. If you see another car somewhere else have a Rennlister look at it for you. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would counsel a little patience. I think you can find a car a lot closer to home for less money if you can wait. I purchased mine in N. Cal. recently for less.

Quick Reply: Nervous - give me a push? -- UPDATE