Sponsored by:

Nervous - give me a push? -- UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color is hugely important - get the one you want.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Color is hugely important - get the one you want.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried calling the nearest p-car garage to see if they'll go the the car instead of you bringing the car to them? In the UK their are a few people who advertise in the back of the porsche magazines advertising this service so maybe someone does in the US?

Go for the colour you like best. That's exactly what I did and have never looked back! Otherwise you'll always be thinking if only I'd waited for a blue one....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

The indicators are here that you should pass.

$18.5K for that milege is not a bargain, and there are issues to attend to right off the bat. Add to that the unknowns, and you are in for even more $$ - and getting a car that has worn interior and stone chips...

I wouldn't - but best of luck if you do.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:33 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

So I now have additional information, and I'll appreciate your thoughts again:

Got the records on the car from: deceased owner had the car for 7 years and about 35K mi. During that time, the car has had 2 clutches and new 2nd gear synchros. No clear explanation for this. Seller of course swears that the owner was not hard on the car.

In addition, the car has a cone filter, 92 Oct. chip (brand unknown), and a primary muffler bypass. Also looks like there is no spoiler wall on the car (there should be one, right?). It also apparently needs replacement of the right windshield washer nozzle.

I'm in California, so I'd have to get the chip changed or reprogrammed, as we don't get 92 Octane generally, and I'd want to replace the filter with a stock airbox so I don't have problems with water getting on/in it.

The other issues appear to be as previously described.

Seller has dropped price to $17.5, and will take it for PPI if I can arrange this weekend (which I think I can arrange, either at Joseph Porsche or with Forry Hargitt at TD Performance, both in Cincinnati.)

Thoughts? My gut is telling me to walk away, but I will take your collective wisdom into account. I promise that someday soon, I'll stop tormenting you all with purchase questions and start regaling you with pictures.

Thanks so much!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd still walk. As stated, I bought a great condition car in the Bay Area for considerably less than this price. You will regret it if you rush your decision - this is a buyer's market, so there is no reason at all to rush into a purchase. Prices are not rising in this environment, and I think more cars will hit the market. You will be able to purchase a no excuses car for this kind of money.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I'd still walk. As stated, I bought a great condition car in the Bay Area for considerably less than this price. You will regret it if you rush your decision - this is a buyer's market, so there is no reason at all to rush into a purchase. Prices are not rising in this environment, and I think more cars will hit the market. You will be able to purchase a no excuses car for this kind of money.
Ditto. I shopped for almost 6 months before buying mine. In this market, you probably don't have to shop that long. There is and will continue to be a lot inventory in the market given this economy. Your patience will be rewarded with a good example and a great price. My Spider sense was tingling way too much based on your description of the car you are interested in.

I originally was seeking a silver car and ended up with white. After driving my car, I don't give a hoot about the color because the driving experience is so dynamic and amazing. If you are open to 2-4 colors, you will find your car soon. Good luck with the search.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Been looking for almost a year now, without much luck. Passed on one car I probably should have bought, otherwise seen a lot of questionable cars that are 'perfect' and overpriced.

Been looking on CL, Autotrader, cars.com and ebay. I feel like I'm missing something because I'm not really seeing the deals of which y'all speak. (Though I did find the 993 RUF Turbo R conversion for $35K which Patrick Connor now has).

I guess I'm just frustrated and need some encouragement. I really just want to get a car and enjoy it.

Arun
Old 11-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds worse, not better. I'd cross it off your list.

Before I bought mine, I did three PPI's on potential purchases. Each one was worse than the one before. I was really discouraged. After I got the call on the last one, I almost threw in the towel but decided to take one more look on Autotrader before I left the office that day. That's when I found the car I ultimately bought, it had just been listed. "Your" car may show up where and when you least expect it. And, Guards Red was also my last choice in color, but the car was too good to pass up. Whatever color you end up with, it will grow on you.

I have mixed feelings about eBay, but if I were you, I would give this guy a call if the Carfax looks good. This could be a "deal" and he sounds like he knows his Porsches. Everybody always talks about how hard good lower-mile C2's are to find:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RL:MOTORS:1123

LOT closer than Cincinnati.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 11-29-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: dis..des..uh...dyslexia
Old 11-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If that car in Carson City is in good shape the buy it now price is pretty fair for such a low mileage car. I never haggle over a few hundred (or even a thousand or two) if it is something I really want.

Good luck - you'll find the right car eventually!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
james944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
"Your" car may show up where and when you least expect it. And, Guards Red was also my last choice in color, but the car was too good to pass up. Whatever color you end up with, it will grow on you.
+1!

Don't get discouraged, and enjoy looking! It's part of the process. You get to see a lot of great cars (in various states of repair) without getting your fingers burned by actual possession. When you do find the right car, you'll know it, and you'll know that you like it better than all the others you imagined owning.

Keep looking and keep asking questions. Everyone here loves these cars and wants you to love them too.

Hope this helps,
James
Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I've decided to listen to all of you and my gut, and pass on the car.

That Carson City car looks very nice, I do really want a c4 - It will be my only car, including snowboarding trips to tahoe, so I'm pretty stuck on that.

I have to say that in the year I've been looking, it's been great to hang around hear and learn so much from all of you. I really appreciate everyone's help.

So once more back into the breach, if you know of a special C4, drop me a line!

Arun
Old 11-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Didn't realize you've been searching so long. I found these on Autotrader. Looks like nice examples fro ~ $24K. Have you seen them? Good luck with your search.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2735

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2488

Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 PM
james944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know this car, but the shop that worked on it has a good reputation.

http://tinyurl.com/phoenixc4

(Sorry the cars.com URL was too long)...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When you want to find a C4, all you can find are C2's...

Wish this one had been around when I was looking 3 years ago. Of course, the price would have been much higher:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/933732519.html

Really nice ones are usually overpriced up here, I had to ship one in. The market has certainly changed of late. Nice salt-free native examples are now available.
I'll keep looking up here for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Nervous - give me a push? -- UPDATE