Sponsored by:

Distributor stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM
jsacrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
I've had to use a regular crow-bar to get out the distributor numerous times - it fits perfectly under the dizzy and with a single rock of the bar, the dizzy pops up. It's the only thing I've ever needed my crow-bar for!!
Thanks Garrett, that's EXACTLY the shot that I needed to confirm what I need to try. I've got a small crowbar like that and I think I'll put a small block of wood down there so that I don't bend anything while getting it out.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
No concern over that silicone grease ending up in the engine?
Too small an amount, I suppose?
Just curious.
What Indycam said - Dow O ring grease is exactly what I used. A pinch in 3 gallons of oil should cause no harm.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Jon Hansen
Advanced

A crow bar is an elegant solution. I am sure Dr. Porsche would approve, and even offer you his own crowbar if you needed one. I have used it myself, and it works great. You can protect the castings with bits of wood if you are concerned about marks.
I went through considerable pain and concern reinstalling mine with a fresh o-ring. I suggest practicing the reinstallation procedure several times without the o-ring present so you get the feel of things. Once you put the new o-ring on, it will most likely be difficult to seat the dizzy. Use lube for sure, and be prepared to push much harder than you thought was necessary.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
jsacrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jon Hansen
A crow bar is an elegant solution. I am sure Dr. Porsche would approve, and even offer you his own crowbar if you needed one. I have used it myself, and it works great. You can protect the castings with bits of wood if you are concerned about marks.
I went through considerable pain and concern reinstalling mine with a fresh o-ring. I suggest practicing the reinstallation procedure several times without the o-ring present so you get the feel of things. Once you put the new o-ring on, it will most likely be difficult to seat the dizzy. Use lube for sure, and be prepared to push much harder than you thought was necessary.
Gotcha. Something that's this tough to get out will not just fall back into place I'm sure!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:53 PM
jsacrey
Instructor

Finally got that sucker out and changed the belt this morning! After a bit of prying with the bar, it still wouldn't budge. Turns out that we actually got it to move just a bit and then was able to pull it out by hand!

Changing the belt was a breeze with all of links and help with Adrian's book. Thanks again guys, another maintenance job done!

Quick Reply: Distributor stuck