Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what can you usually break in a circuit activity?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink what can you usually break in a circuit activity?

Next week I am going to participate in Argentina's Porsche Festival
In this activity you compete with other drivers in similar cars (Cayennes vs Cayennes, 964s vs. 964s etc) for the best time done in lapping a circuit with some chicanes created specially to make it slower.
I already broke my clutch in this event before (2004) and I was wondering what other repairs may be derived from this activity ( of course I am going to use a lot of the life of tires and brake pads)
How can I preserve my clutch is my main concern and if anyone has any advice it will be apreciated (Please don´t tell me to go slower I want to win)
Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Were you driving the 964 last time?
There usually is enough warning a clutch is on its last legs.
Dwane
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

what can you usually break in a circuit activity?
"usually"? Nothing.

-- If everything's up up to maintenance schedules and wear specs -- nothing (should go Kah-Blooey).

Engaging your clutch *decisively* -- not dropping it, nor riding/feathering it -- is best for your its longevity.

Maybe be kind w/ your tranny by not speed/slam-shifting.
Don't ride the brake pedal.

[shrug] Maybe check the oil level between runs.

But given the above, your car should be good for everything you could rationally throw at it.

Drive within your comfort & abilities... and have fun!

"[In the 1966 Tour of Corsica], the Porsche 911 arrived in a trailer behind a van...the van was full of only wheels and tyres. I said to director Huschke von Hanstein 'Where are the spare parts? And he said: 'We don't have spare parts...Porsches don't break."...and he was absolutely right!"
- Vic Elford
(That may be a bit cheeky, but it's something I've grown accustomed to in my two 911's. Now, *wearing out*.... that'$ another $tory.)
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry964
I already broke my clutch in this event before (2004) and I was wondering what other repairs may be derived from this activity ( of course I am going to use a lot of the life of tires and brake pads)
How can I preserve my clutch is my main concern and if anyone has any advice it will be apreciated (Please don´t tell me to go slower I want to win)
Nothing should break because it's a Porsche! I'd doubt you'd be driving it any harder than the Germans on the Autobahn or up the Alps.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your answers!!!!

And yes I wasn´t driving a 964 in 2004 it was a 924, and I came back to win my class in 2005

Quick Reply: what can you usually break in a circuit activity?