Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 buying advice-oil consumption too high??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
wait, wait, wait, you aren't going to foul plugs with that amount of oil consumption.. .
Perhaps, but it depends on the problem being evenly distributed across all cylinders, or concentrated in one or two. I have seen cars that fouled a particular plug when oil consumption was much less than that.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
CurBrwn79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all that have replied. I am planning on seeing it on thursday. I will report back on the test drive and then decide on the PPI. Great advice regards the alignment!

I think everyone is right regards the top end. I have been looking for a good amount of time. My excitement sometimes overwhelms reason and common sense. Nothing better than finding your dream car locally! If I can get it for $12-13k, maybe be a good deal. One positive is that I can choose my shop for the top end work. End of the day, if the top end is $4-5k and I buy the car for $12-13k, I should make out ok. What do you guys think?

Springer, I may take you up on your offer...If it is as cherry as you say, I may try to buy it from you!!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 PM
CurBrwn79
Instructor

Met with the seller today to look the car over. First thoughts:

1.) Paint: The car has had some work done. A tree limb put a nice little dent on the pass fender a couple years back, which was repaired. Rest of the paint looks pretty org. Rear bumper has a good bit of spidering. Front end is peppered with your usual hwy chips.

2.) Interior: Pretty nice for the age. Lots of loose items, but nothing too major. ODO gears were fixed 500 miles ago. New Alpine Stereo with iPOD Jack.

3.) Engine: Does leak a little, noticed the drips after the test drive. Owner states that he adds 3-4 qts every year or 7500 miles. Pulls strong with no smoke or hesitation. Heat guard is worn and basically lying on the top of the intake/throttle body. Good records with recent valve adjustment & plugs. Does have a chip w/ a sport exhaust. No issues passing GA Emissions.

4.) Suspension: New lowering springs with bilstein shocks. Very firm and solid

I like the car and feel that it has some potential. My primary use will be weekends, AutoX, and DE's. He is flexible on price. What do you think it is worth? Remember, the top end has not been completed.

Thanks guys for the help.

Last edited by CurBrwn79; 10-18-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car proves out on the PIP, it’s clean enough and can be had for under 15 its sounds like a nice buy.
The updated suspension is a plus also at that price range. I think the best part is that you will not be fearful of driving the car anytime or anywhere, with 150K who cares how much you add.

I recently purchased a 964 with some of the same intentions; mileage is now at 135, no top end build either. My car has the same paint conditions you described above; again for what I was buying it for that was a plus since I wouldn't have to cry over every rock chip.

I was recently invited to instruct at a Viper event and decided to use this car. After driving to and from the track (130miles each way), beating the car up on the track all day, then to and from work all over NYC, CT, Brooklyn etc. for the last two weeks I now have added one quart tonight at 899 miles. I think this is pretty good.

I would say that the entire life of the car will determine the oil consumption, so the info received here is just a guide, they will all be different. I knew all three owners of this car and they all drove it everyday, it leaves not a drip in my driveway.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
marktrav
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springer,

I'm the one that you helped repair the circuit board on my tail lift. We found the culprit transistor and replaced it. I thought our cars looked pretty comparable!

The car in question is my car. I don't meticulously measure oil consumption because it never struck me as being high, so no need to measure. I change the oil every year in the fall, and it strikes me that I put about 4-5 quarts of oil in it per year, and I drive it about 7500 to 9500 per year. I work alot from home and we take my wife's car alot because it's usually the one that is accessible from the driveway.

It might need some gaskets or seals somewhere to completely stop the oil leak, but it doesn't need a top end job. Who knows, it might need one at 200K, but right now, it just doesn't need it. It doesn't smoke after prolonged idle or deceleration. The plugs I just took out of the engine after 12K miles (which was when the valves were last done) looked so good I was tempted to put them back in the engine, but since they are such a PIA to put in, I went ahead and put in new ones.

It's all for naught anyway, the new owner just left and he's going to be a very happy new owner.

See you in a few years when I can indulge in my 3rd 911!

Mark
'91 964 C2 (Sold!)
????? 2004 Cayenne??
Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 PM
CurBrwn79
Instructor

Darn!!! Someone bought it out from under me! I guess that is what I get for going out of town and draggin my feet.

Congrats Mark for selling the car.

The search continues!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Congrats Mark,

I had a good feeling about your car but got cold feet. Being here on the west coast put me at a slight disadvantage. As you said, worked out for the best.....and you actually picked up a few extra shillings for the cause. Good on you I think the buyer will be happy. Look forward to seeing you back in a P-car soon.

Cheers

Chris
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM
marktrav
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, reading this thread sure brings back memories. I bet that old C2 is worth mid-30K by now even with 200K on the clock. WTF happened to the air cooled market?! Crazy.

A deer decided to plant itself into the front of my '04 Jag XJR while it was moving. That's what I've been driving since my last post to Rennlist in October '08. It's amazing what a little 100lb deer can do to an aluminum car! Insurance might resurrect it, and I'd be ok with that as it drove like a brand new car (and pulled like the 400 hp freight train it was!). But I doubt it.

I'm expecting the insurance to total it since it had 140K miles.

But it's time to make lemonaide out of lemons! I've short listed three 2000 996 C2 Cabs and one 2003 Targa in the neighborhood.

I'm back (and obsessed again)!

Mark
-------------------
looking (?) for 996.mk1 cab 6-speed
'04 XJR (Amazing car. Dead or not dead, that is the question)
'91 C2 (miss that car!)
'82 SC Targa (miss that car more!)

Quick Reply: 964 buying advice-oil consumption too high??