Sponsored by:

Noisy rear spoiler bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
DJS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy rear spoiler bearing replacement

For some time I've been aware of my rear spoiler producing a grinding noise as it raises and lowers and it has gradually been getting worse.

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across an Ebay auction for a replacement bearing and illustrated installation instructions for £9.99.

What can I say? - I have just spent a couple of hours (would be a lot quicker if I ever had to do it again!!) replacing the bearing and I now have a virtually silent spoiler!! One very happy 964 owner!!

The chap selling the bearings seems to have a business in supplying these bearings as judging by his feedback he sells a fair few of them!!

I have no connections whatsoever other than being a happy customer - currently his auction is item number 300265467525 here in the UK, or jsut search for 964 spoiler repair kit.

Regards to all and hope this may be of use to someone,

David
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

David,

Thanks for the tip. My coupe has a noisy spoiler and I've been tolerating it. I'd love to fix it. How long did it take to fix, once you had the parts? Do you have any photos or tips on the procedure?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM
DJS
Advanced

Hi Rob,
Sorry but I didn't take any photos.
Whole job took me approx two hours of quite slow and methodical work.
Four or five pages of written instructions together with colour photos for each step along the way were included with the bearing.
Not too technically challenging at all really. IMHO if you can change brake pads you can certainly do this job.
All that's required is basic hand tools, cordless drill, sharp knife and superglue (to open up and then close drive box after bearing replaced) together with a vice and tubing/small sockets to press the new bearing onto the shaft.
Satisfaction rating after completion - 110%!!

Good luck!

Regards,

David
Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Rob,

I have also done this job (sorry, no photos either) and found it to be straight forward and very successful. My only challenge was in getting the housing cut apart cleanly and without damage. Patience won out.

I also have a spare bearing that I'd be happy to send you. It wasn't all that difficult to source, but so in expensive that I choose to purchase more than one. If you PM me your address I'll drop it in the mail before I leave on a business trip this afternoon.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow this link for instructions
Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
DJS
Advanced

Hi klr10

Just had a look at your link and those are EXACTLY the instructions that I got sent with the bearing!

Regards,

David
Old 10-19-2008, 04:06 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Default did mine also

I ordered the kit and got it in less than a week. The instructions were very good and now I can hardly hear the spoiler going up and down even with the engine off. Can't believe the manufacturer used an open (non sealed) bearing in an application like this. The original bearing was in really bad shape.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Just to renew this thread. Did my bearing job on the weekend. Everything went fine with the p-car instructions until it came to the bearing removal. If I had read the instructions and not figured I knew what to do I would have saved myself some headaches. I was trying to vice-grip the gearing off the shaft by clamping the bearing and squeezing against the sleeve connector. Unforthnately, these two pieces will never come apart when squeezed together. After I re-read the instructions, a small galvanized nail acted as the pin and I knocked out the work gear from the bearing and the sleeve connector. Ordered the bearing on eeebay for $2.65 with $6.50 shipping and will get the job completed in a few days. Great instructions. Poor student.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait..what? The spoiler is supposed to be silent ??!!!

The things you learn here eh! Just printed the instructions and will check where my spoiler noises are coming from. I did notice it didn't raise auto the other day...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Better sooner than later, I didnt catch mine in time and it burned the motor..fuse did not blow either!

I found the bearing at the local NAPA auto parts store for a few bucks..
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

bearing arrived. Got it pressed back on, greased up, glued together, and reinstalled in about 30 minutes. Tested it out, and all I could hear was the noise of the little electric motor powering up and down my spoiler. WOW.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 239 Posts

I've got a DIY page describing the spoiler bearing change, it might be at help for others.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^
Tore,
Very nice spoiler bearing DIY update.
With your very helpful pictures I think I'm going to finally change my noisy bearing. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy on eBay is making a great profit. The bearing once you find out the type can be bought for 99p and the instructions downloaded on one of several forum sites.

I paid 99p for mine, followed a posters guide for my 993 and job done.

ETA; Got minr from GAPBEARINGS on eBay a few years back. This was the reference: 625-2RS QUALITY RUBBER SEALED BEARING 5x16x5mm.

And here is a quick search:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINIATURE-...item51a0679efe
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^ For the U.S. folks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/625-2RS-Ball...item5ae6ceb728

Thanks for the info gents, especially ToreB

Quick Reply: Noisy rear spoiler bearing replacement