Sponsored by:

Oil changes low milage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Grigiocorsa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.
My question was based on the finding of (macroscopically) beautiful oil (Shell) at the time of oil change after 12 month but few Km’s.
Are there any other maintenance procedures or liquid change which you would recommend in such low mileage use every 12 months ?
Do you guys follow strictly Porsche recommendations ?
Thanks

(PS regarding the time spent not driving my Porsche unfortunately I live in an Hospital instead of in my garage)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Logan964C2
Instructor

I put my car into storage between December and March. My service centre (who I am happy with but won't mention here) advises to change the oil when I go into storage and then again when I get it out. I have always thought this was excessive since no miles go on the car between but they advise that the freezing and cooling of the oil over the winter can have negative effects. Does anyone else change before and after storage? - or does this seem like the service centre getting some extra business from me?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

You might want to change your brake fluid as well, since it's hygroscopic. It's a 30-45 minute job, not a big deal.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Logan964C2
I put my car into storage between December and March. My service centre (who I am happy with but won't mention here) advises to change the oil when I go into storage and then again when I get it out. I have always thought this was excessive since no miles go on the car between but they advise that the freezing and cooling of the oil over the winter can have negative effects. Does anyone else change before and after storage? - or does this seem like the service centre getting some extra business from me?
That sounds a bit excessive to me. It seems that once at the begining of the driving season (when it comes out of storage) would suffice. But I freely admit I'm not an expert. Also, my cars don't experience extremely cold temperatures down here in Texas as yours may if it is stored without climate control. I rarely see anything below freezing in my garage even on the coldest nights.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Blown Away
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Perhaps I can offer all you guys a service along with a few other RL's.
We'll drive your cars around while you are working for a small fee. That way, you don't need to worry about low mileage.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roygarth
Why should one change the oil every year if minimal mileage done? Does it go off? Is there a sell by date on the can like milk? Why not change it every 18 months or 2 years?? I don't understand!
TBN is the key number to watch.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do_i_need_a_tbn_.html

A good oil will have a higher number to start out with, but age, acidity and contaminants all combine to reduce this number over time. As was mentioned, what is $100 worth of oil and a filter over a year's time, when it comes to the long-term health of your engine? It's really cheap insurance.

Some darkening of oil from oxidation is completely normal, so sometimes it's hard to tell how pristine oil is just by looking. It's also worth noting that seeing some particulate in suspension is actually a good thing; the oil is doing its cleansing job and this stuff is not sticking to walls and passages.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
That sounds a bit excessive to me. It seems that once at the begining of the driving season (when it comes out of storage) would suffice.
Actually, I believe it is better to do the annual change right before storing the car, so that the acids in the used oil do not etch away at the steel while parts sit stationary.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Thanks TR6 and Foxford. I was thinking of declining the 'post storage' oil change this spring anyway. Will now do the oil change before storing the car and expect that the oil holds up to the cold temperatures over the winter and does not break down.
Agreed that it is 'cheap insurance' to change the oil at both in and out of storage but unless there is a scientific reason to suggest the oil will expire or break down in cold temperatures, I don't think it necessary.
Great forum and as a 'relative newcomer' I hope it wasn't perceived that I hijacked the thread as the original post was only related to oil changes at low kilometre intervals and not oil changes at low kilometre intervals due to cold weather storage.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

As a follow on to this topic, how does everybody feel on spark plugs and valve adjustment on a low mile (less than 5000 pa) car. Do you just do it at 12000/24000 mile interval or sooner?
In Adrian's book it says the valve adjustment should only be done if it is really necessary.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I have read (in a classic motorsport magazine) also that it is good to change oil before and after storage. Just cannot find the issue to see the reason.

However most cars do not take 10-11 quarts and a lot of us use an oil that you cannot be pick up at the local autozone (like Brad Penn, Amsoil, Swepco, etc.). This is not to debate what oil to use, but that generally most of us use expensive oil.

Still cheap insurance. However since I live in the south, I do not need to store my car.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Grigiocorsa
AutoX

I do valve adjustment only when needed
Not entirely clear to me what to do with spark plugs..changing based on mileage? time? ..coments welcome

Quick Reply: Oil changes low milage