Sponsored by:

964 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 as a daily driver?

Okay all - I am seriously considering one as a daily driver. I would love your opinions on the following items. I see this as somewhat of a survey. If you drive your 964 as a daily driver I would love to hear about your experience. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, if you have one for sale, let me know!

C2/C4:
Mileage:
Annual miles used:
Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear):
MPG:
General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver
Anything else you care to share:
Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1992 C2, 192 K, about 15k per year now

i don't keeep track of annual cost. no more so than any other car.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

1990 C2 TIP
96,000 mi
4K / year (including 1K for DE events)
$400 / yr - stock pads, stock tire wear, oil changes, inspections and registration (didn't count $$ for DE related costs)
18 - 20 MPG city, +26 MPG highway, -9 MPG DE'ing
Makes a FUN D.D.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

C2/C4: 1994 C4 Coupe
Mileage: 40k
Annual miles used: 5-8k
Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear): I plan for approx. 1500. Will vary from year to year.
MPG: High teens to low twenties.
General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver. I think the car is great as a daily driver. It is small so you do have to make some compromises. My wife's vehicle is used for utility, so the size of the C4 doesn't impede on my ability to haul stuff. I travel in the C4 every other month and it has been bullet proof. I wanted allwheel drive for a daily driver as I drive the car year round. I feel very fortunate to drive one every day. It definitely puts a smile on my face on most days.

Anything else you care to share: Spending a little more on a well maintained P-car will save you many dollars down the road.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
gfmcl
AutoX

C2/C4: C2
Mileage: Just turned 100,000
Annual miles: 10-12K.
mpg: 17-19 city, 24-26 hwy. A little less if driving sporty.
Maintence: $1500 per year, unless something breaks. My a/c just went out, and it was around $1600 to fix.

Daily driver only, no track/de. No mods. Never left me stranded. Minor little things here and there, but every time I think of selling, all I have to do is get in and go for another drive.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

C2/C4: 2
Mileage: 102k
Annual miles used: 5k
Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear): [shrug] $700
MPG: 20's
General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver
If you're cool with accumulating road rash, being under juiciest-elk-in-the-herd cop surveillance, and the odd, mind-numbed left lane monitor checking your progress, it ain't bad. Maintenance is the only way not to have drama. (Think, polar-opposite to a Toyota.)
But it's a two day a week car for me. My other hyper-stealth car, is only somewhat satisfying in that it lets me practice lines -- performance driving-wise -- in peace on off ramps along the way.

Anything else you care to share: my favorite color is blue, angry people are a turn-off, and my dad is my biggest hero. Oh, and some time, on most any trip you're on w/ your other car -- you'll wish you were in your 964.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

C2/C4: C4
Mileage: 71,500 (35k at purchase ~3 yrs ago)
Annual miles used: 12k
Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear): $3k/yr (a well sorted car; that's what the man said...and now it nearly is!)
MPG: 16-18 in town, 22-24 hwy

General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver:

I find this car a joy to drive in all conditions, any time of year. With snow tires it goes great in the winter. I can put my two boys (now 5 and 7) comfortably in the back seats so it works fine as a family car, but we do have a suburban for most family outings. Puts a smile on my face nearly every time I start it up. Wish I had a beater so I didn't have to do all of the work over the weekend and have it running again on Monday. I often wonder why I waited so long to get a 911!

Anything else you care to share:

Need milk? I'll go!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Great stuff folks! keep them coming. Looks like I should expect around 1500 a year in repairs / maintenance. I am not interested in modifying for race duty, I ust want a solid daily driver with the major items already addressed (DMFW, leaky valve covers, etc).

I would also be interested in C2 vs C4 and coupe vs cab.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
walterj
Intermediate

I have 3.4k of daily use on a new-to-me at 76k '90 C2 since July. So far, so good. The only things that have been issues have been small annoyances like the driver side lock not disabling the alarm and an oil cooler leak I inherited from the PO.

Talk to me next year at this time for the full story
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I haven't been using my '89 C4 as a daily driver (but plan to soon), the car is definitely much happier when I drive it more regularly than letting it sit unused for a week or two. I don't see any issues with this car as a daily driver.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

'89 C-4 87000 mi last year engine rebuild (after self nuke) to the tune of $16,000.This year $0.00
Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

C2/C4: C4
Mileage: 106K
Annual miles used: ~10K
Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear): hard to say, Just spent $$$ on clutch, plugs, wires, caps, valve adj, dist belt, ........................... So, from now on, I would guess $500-$1000 ?? But then, there are those little things..............
MPG: 21 for daily commutes. 23-24 long trips. 10 at a DE
General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver: Absolutely the best decision I have ever made on a car. The most capable car I have ever driven. I drive it year round. Lots of people question me on why I would drive such a Nice Car all the time, especially in nasty weather. Almost makes it bearable to go to work. Do it. I cannot imagine having this car and not driving it.
Anything else you care to share: Minor (sometimes major) annoyance as a daily driver - having to put up with a**-hole commuters in SUVs and minivans who have to show me that they are bigger and faster than a Porsche. And, staring into the headlights of SUVs and pick up trucks, not good.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 AM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

C2/C4: C2.

Mileage: 130,000+

Annual miles used: 10k-12k

Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear): Don't know - did spend a bit on a new clutch this past January. My AC has also needed expensive repairs in the past.

MPG: 19-22 MPG

General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver: I drive 43 miles each way, 3 days a week. I live in SoCal, so winter weather is a non-issue and rain is rare. I enjoy utilizing my C2 as a daily driver.

Anything else you care to share: I've purchased my C2 in July 1998. Over the years I have become very accustomed to driving MY car - the unusual layout of the 911 has become so familiar to me driving a "normal" car can seem strange. My wife drives a 2003 MINI Cooper S we've owned since new (about 48K miles). She comments that my car is tighter and clearly superior in fit and finish even with the much greater mileage and age. I find my car is actually more comfortable than her Cooper S when commuting. I also have a 1988 BMW M3 with about 123,800 miles. The 911 is 6 years newer, but has higher miles. My M3 is in great shape, but the BMW is showing it's age much more than the 911; small stuff like creaks and rattles, trim not holding up as well, etc. I would expect to pay a bit more to keep an older car running, but it is worth it to me. The performance of a 964 is still remarkable, even after all these years.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Guards964
Instructor

I use mine as a daily driver, but I only put about 12 miles roundtrip to an from work on it a day, but that is if I only take the short route to work. I usually take the short route in and then take a nice 25 mile trip home! Having one in nashville is really a none issue for having a manual, since most of our roads are pretty flat...and to follow what everybody else has said it always puts a smile on my face when I leave the office and get in the 964. Mine has had no problems so far, but was out of commission for a couple months while some changes were made. Other than that down time, nothing wrong. insurance runs me 407 every six months for full coverage, plus normal work I would say that 1500 is a favorable ownership fee. With it being a daily driver, you will have to look at how many oilchanges you will do a year, I change mine every 3,000 miles just for good cause ( low mileage right now at 58,000). Plus if you find one that needs some work, I've got some great local guys to do everything from body work to engine work for you. let me know, I'm in the process of taking mine to a Euro RS right now, but I am taking my time and not rushing into anything with it. The brake ducts are getting finished up this week so they are fully functional.

By the way I know I've got to post some photos for everybody that has helped me put all of my parts together so they can see what the car looks like. Let me know how seriouse you are about finding a 964 here in Nashville. I might know of a great 964 C4 widebody with one helll of a (I think) TPC supercharger on it . Black on Tan '91 with speedline wheels and I fi recall it only had about 90,000 miles on the clock, and no oil leaks!!! Let me know, and I'll give my buddy a call.

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Finally back on the road
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 AM
cbwayo
Instructor

C2/C4: C2
mileage: just turned 109k miles today
Annual miles used: about 14k
Average annual running costs (excluding modifications - just wear and tear): $150 oil changes thrice a year. I did have some new plugs in last year which added another $800 (I'm no DIY-er). To average things out, maybe $750 annually. Completely stock.
MPG: 18 city, ~24 hwy
General thoughts on use and experience as a daily driver:

This car for me is not only a daily driver, but my only car. I'm 26 years old, and used the funds from a dumb-luck investment in a '67 mustang when i was in high school to buy this when i graduated from college. I have no other car to drive if the weather is bad, or if its in the shop. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with any car, let alone one thats 15 years old with 109k miles on it. Very reliable, I live in the Northeast, and no problems when it gets cold, when its a little slick outside. I've had some bad accidents in previous cars, so I don't push my 964 very hard. Don't know if I can attribute the good luck i've had with the car to this or not. All this, and I have very little service history on the car. As I said, I don't service it myself, but I have a guy within a few miles thats a PCA-certified mechanic that takes care of the little things for me - for whatever thats worth.

If I had any general advise, keeping in mind i've only owned the car for a couple of years: get a good sense of the seller. I bought my car through a ferrari shop that was brokering the car for a private seller - you can see it the day i bought it at the dealership in my profile pic . I definitely trusted the dealership, and the seller was probably in his early 80's, single owner of the car (so he was in his late 60's when he bought it new), kept it garaged, etc. I also firmly believe that porsches need to be driven. My car runs perfectly every day, but if I'm on vacation for a week and come back to it, its a little rough for a day. (must miss me)

Anyway, thats my $0.02.

Last edited by cbwayo; 09-11-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 964 as a daily driver?