Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Sway Bars for 964: Anyone Used Them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
all623
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Sway Bars for 964: Anyone Used Them?

I orderd the TRG 25mm and rear 22mm and the front bar will not fit my car. There is a clearance problem with the brake booster. TRG say they have isolated cases of 964s that may have a different booster or mounting that causes a clearnance problem.

Anyone tried the H&R? Would like to know your experience with them. The fronts are 24mm and the rear seems too big at 26mm. I spoke with a tech person at H&R who said they got it right b/c they work directly with Porsche to design their bars. He also said they are solid and not hollow. There is supposed to be a bend in the middle too for brake booster clearance? Can't find an actual photo to validate.

Any other sway bar options for our cars, excluding the factory RS bars?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

i too am tempted by h+r bars, but again am worried about the 26mm rear...

i guess you could always mill a middle section to reduce the effective stiffness...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

You can fit a sway bar in the front which is 24-25 mm. If you undo the break boster a little you'll be able to squeeze through the sway bar. When it's in place just tighten the booster back in place.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit that I'm tempted by these because H&R make quality parts and they are about half the price of RS bars. Why not just use the front 24 mm bar and the leave the standar bar on the back? I know there would be no adjustment available at the back but I would hazard a guess that most of us would never adjust the front one once we had it set where we liked it.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM
all623
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
If you undo the break boster a little you'll be able to squeeze through the sway bar. When it's in place just tighten the booster back in place.
Thomas, I spoke to my local shop yesterday and they recommended the same thing. They did an identical car and sway bars and after loosening the booster there was clearance once the bar was properly installed. I'll try it and if it works stick with the TRGs.

Do you know which bolts on the booster need to be loosened to nudge it out of the way?

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. If this doesn't work I may consider some of the options mentioned, including diving in for the H&Rs.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 PM
all623
Instructor

I successfully installed the front bar (and rear). Glad I didn't have to go through the trouble and research to find an alternate brand.

I loosened the bracket of the brake booster on the left side by removing 2 of the 3 bolts and loosening the third. I removed all three bolts on the right bracket. I was then able to easily rotate the booster slightly out of the way while it stayed mounted. I had plenty of clearance to mount the front bar and it installed easily. The binders that hold down the bushings was much easier than expected. I then put the booster back to it's original position and there is about 2 to 3mm of clearance from the bar. The rear bar mounted very easily.

Now I need to figure out where to start with the bar settings for the front and rear??? I have also installed KW Clubsport suspension and it will be lowered at RS or slightly lower ride heighth.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just to put a cap on this, I had to loosen the booster to install the factory rs bar as well, so its not isolated to the aftermarket bars....

Quick Reply: H&R Sway Bars for 964: Anyone Used Them?