Sponsored by:

Key Differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Key Differences

The picture below shows the two keys I received with my '93 cabrio. I was changing around the key heads and when I realized that the keys are different. I have tested them both and they both work the ignition, front trunk and glove box.

So, can anyone explain to me why they are different and what one key may operate that the other would not. I assume there is a reason for the difference.

This is very important to me at the moment as I need to make copies and I don't know which one I should use as the master. Can anyone help?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Artie-
It appears the key on the right may a very worn version of the left.

If making a copy -- and both keys work -- I'd be sorely tempted to use the left key as the copy's 'master'. (And use the key on the right til it went **** up.)
Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

In the 3 Porsches that I've owned, I've never seen a key with sharp teeth like the one on the left. I don't know if there are pins that small in the keyhole of the car. All my keys have pretty much looked like the one on the right.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Artie-
It appears the key on the right may a very worn version of the left.

If making a copy -- and both keys work -- I'd be sorely tempted to use the left key as the copy's 'master'. (And use the key on the right til it went **** up.)
Looking carefully at the key on the right, I don't believe it was worn flat. It is just perfectly flat and even and I can't believe it was worn perfectly the same on both sides.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 AM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
The picture below shows the two keys I received with my '93 cabrio. I was changing around the key heads and when I realized that the keys are different. I have tested them both and they both work the ignition, front trunk and glove box.

So, can anyone explain to me why they are different and what one key may operate that the other would not. I assume there is a reason for the difference.

This is very important to me at the moment as I need to make copies and I don't know which one I should use as the master. Can anyone help?
Does the one on the left have the small 'valet' key head? I believe the valet type is slightly different and will work in the ignition but should not be able to open the glove box. (I know you tested it and it did, but that could also mean your glove box mechanism is worn?)
Old 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on the left looks like how the keys come when you order them through the dealer according to vin. They always looked a bit wierd, and sometimes you have to finesse them with a wire wheel to get them to work. As long as they work in all the locks and ignition, shouldn't make a difference what key you get copied.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breale01
Does the one on the left have the small 'valet' key head? I believe the valet type is slightly different and will work in the ignition but should not be able to open the glove box. (I know you tested it and it did, but that could also mean your glove box mechanism is worn?)
Both keys had the lighted head, and as far as I understand, there is not such thing as valet for the cabrio.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Both keys had the lighted head, and as far as I understand, there is not such thing as valet for the cabrio.
I would be surprised if there wasn't, especially for a cab. Check your owners manual to verify. Do you have the storage compartments in the rear? Key heads are easily interchangeable. The key is sold as a blank and the head is attached depending on what head you want.

BTW I would make a copy of the key on the left. At least you can always grind it to mach the other.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would be surprised if there wasn't, especially for a cab. Check your owners manual to verify. Do you have the storage compartments in the rear? Key heads are easily interchangeable. The key is sold as a blank and the head is attached depending on what head you want.

BTW I would make a copy of the key on the left. At least you can always grind it to mach the other.
There is no vanity key mentioned in my manual. I was surprised too. I do have storage compartments.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Guards964
Instructor

I have two different keys as well. Similar in style to yours. I have one that looks like a steak knife edge, and the other is laking all of the teeth. I haven't tried them both in the glove box, I'll do that tonight. Mine is a '92. I'll try and check mine tonight, but I am leaning towards a worn locking mechanism on the glove box.....

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
breale01
Racer

I mislead you. You are correct. I re-read my owner's manual (90 C2 Coupe) and it says nothing about a valet key. It refers to the key with a smaller head as an 'emergency' key and as a 'flat' key. No mention that it does anything differently than the key with the lighted head. It's just more compact for carrying in a wallet or purse.

Your mystery continues....

Quick Reply: Key Differences