Sponsored by:

Heater way too hot!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heater way too hot!

I was driving my car the other day and it became extremely hot in the car. Long story short, it appears that the flappers in the flapper boxes for the heating system are stuck open. I did not notice this when I pruchased the car a few months back and it appears to be a recent problem. My quick fix was to disconnect the hoses from the heat exchangers just to reduce the amount of heat coming into the car for a DE last weekend, but now I figure I should try to find out what the real problem is. I definitely do not need the heat on in my car in Atlanta right now! Does anyone have any ideas on where to start checking (i.e. relays, circuits, etc.) that I can test to possibly identify what is wrong? How could I possibly jumper a circuit or something to get them to work, just so that I know they work and begin to identify the real cause of the problem.

Secondly, I was under the dash looking around and noticed that the extreme heat apparently began to melt something. A small housing with wires connected to it (nice description huh) with the part number 911.618.113.01. I have looked around a bit but have found nothing, what is this part/relay/whatever?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would check the heater servos to confirm if they are moving. See https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...at+constant+on

I would also check to see if the heater tubes under the dash are intact. They are easily damaged and once so, the heater will dump an amazing amount of heat into the cabin. I recently had to replace my right-side tube. Its an easy job (15 minutes).
See https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=heater+tubes
and https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=heater+tubes

What is the mystery part? According to Pelican, its a "Lock control unit". Just a tip, you can enter almost any Porsche part number into Pelican's web site and it will tell you what it is.

Good luck on the diagnosis and repair.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:55 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Rob - I was just in the garage looking around and I think my heater hoses haev seen better days. I will pick up a new one Monday. I will check out the other link for the servos.

As for the other part, I tried pelican many times but could not get the part description, but did find it on another website. Apparently it is the door locking controller, and unit only costs $423. Since my doors continue to operate just fine, I will assume that the melt down has had no impact on the functionallity. I will just wrap electrical tape around the exposed circuit board and put it back.

Quick Reply: Heater way too hot!