Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist Diagnostic Interface "Loaner" Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rennlist Diagnostic Interface "Loaner" Thread!

The Rennlist Diagnostic Interface "Loaner" Thread

I finally got the interface working that I built from scratch. Since I ordered one in the meantime... I now have an extra Diagnostic Interface. Hawk911 and Gary R. had PMed me for dibs on this one and the one that I still need to build but they both have since ordered one. I figured what I could do is to give back to other Rennlisters since I have gotten so much from them. With that in mind... Rennlist now has a "Loaner" diagnostic interface for all Rennlist members to use! I decided I would start this thread so we could keep track of it.

Here is how I see it working... The first person who posts here will receive the Interface. You can them PM me with your address and I will send it to you. The second person who posts can have it sent to them by the first person and so on and so on. I would think that we should keep a week or so time limit on possession to avoid bogging down the chain and so the maximum amount of people can benefit from it. I still need to fab another cable so it will be a few days before I'm ready to mail it out. I also have another one that I intend to build. Once finished we can add that one to the mix also. (Maybe one for the USA and one ROW?)

Here's what will come with it...

- Diagnostic Interface in Black Box
- Basic Directions
- One serial cable
- One CD with Scantool4 Software on it. (If Doug Boyce has no objections.)
- A working manual for notes, observations, etc. (If you want to post these to share there is another thread I just started for that.)
- Whatever else I am forgetting.

Here is what you'll need...

- A PC (Laptop preferably) with a working serial port. If you have no serial port you will need to purchase a PCMCIA-serial card. (Unless someone has one to donate to the cause.) All desktop PCs have serial ports so you can always do what I did when I started and haul your desktop PC out to the garage. Believe me... It's worth it!
- A Porsche 964. This interface is built and wired for the Porsche 964 ONLY. The switches have been left out to make it work with the 993.
- Must be a member of Rennlist
- Whatever else I am forgetting.

Please feel free to either PM me or post here with suggestions and I will edit this original post to add, correct or change things as needed.

Now the fine print... I'm sure that someone could possibly find a way to damage their vehicle, DME, etc. by using this improperly or not following the directions. Use of this interface is YOUR responsibility!

Last edited by Smokin; 10-17-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll donate the PCMCIA-serial card if I can be included!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I took out the "paid member" part as there are a lot of good contributors here that are not paid members. Please PM me your address and you'll be the first one to receive it!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very interested as I was about to order one for England if you are willing to organise post to Australia-I will pay postage etc
Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have mine available for the Orlando area if anyone needs it or if anybody just wants to come by and reset codes. I also have a lift if you want to take a peek under your car.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Smokin'.....I'm in no rush. Let others have it first, then when someone needs the card, we can figure out something from there.

BTW....thanks for including me!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Twood... I still need to build the ROW interface. I'll pay the postage for the first US user and also for the first ROW user (when I get that one finished up.)

Skruggs... I'll send it to you first so we can get the card working with it. (I'll include what I did for mine to get it working to make sure it works. Then you can post your findings in the manual that will follow it around.)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Okay...sounds good! I know where the card is....I just have to find out where I've hidden the attaching wire.....I haven't used it in years.

Let me do some digging tonight before we confirm. It's around my house somewhere...I used it on my last laptop about 4 years ago....
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smokin and others

I am happy to buy the interface and then start a loan here in Australia with the same offer as you are suggesting if anyone here is interested.
I am not sure that it is practical to be posting internationally - it is too easy to get bogged down in the postal systems.
Who has bought the interface from http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.ph...products_id=183
and were you happy with performance and the service?

Last edited by Twood; 10-17-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Twood - I received mine from them today, would rate the service as quick and excellent. I'll get her working this weekend if all goes well.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Twood
Smokin and others

I am happy to buy the interface and then start a loan here in Australia with the same offer as you are suggesting if anyone here is interested.
I am not sure that it is practical to be posting internationally - it is too easy to get bogged down in the postal systems.
Who has bought from the interface from http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.ph...products_id=183
and were you happy with performance and the service?
The first one I bought only worked a few times. I have tried everything to get it working again with no luck. I bought another one and had no problems with it.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

If there was anyone in my area that needed codes read I'd be more than happy to help out. Western (Mountains of) NC.

Thats kind of you Smokin.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Oracle
Pro

I'm in Calgary so if you want lets just setup a time and date and we scan your car and I can send your screenshots via email or simply clean the codes (up to you). Price: Free (but a coffee or beer would not hurt)
-Jasper

Now the fine print... Any damage to your DME or other is your responsability
Old 10-18-2006, 01:42 AM
skruggs964
Pro

Oracle....awesome! I'll definitely take you up on your offer...and the beer is on me!

Smokin'.....my offer still stands. I'll gladly donate it for the cause. I was able to locate the card tonight...the wire and the diskette are probably buried in my desk drawer at the office.

Oracle....I'm in no rush. I actually just took off the insurance for the winter. I can always put it back on....but this might be a spring project if that works for you.

Thanks again....I really appreciate it!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am moving to Alberta in the next few weeks and have a Hammer so anyone in that area is welcome to use it.

Marc

Quick Reply: Rennlist Diagnostic Interface "Loaner" Thread!