Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to sell mom's car, whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 PM
FLIEGEN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to sell mom's car, whats it worth?

I am NOT a member yet, but will be before I make a for sale post. This is NOT a for sale post, but more of a how much is the car worth? We don't want a mint for it, but we don't want to give it away either. My dad has 7 cars (trying to sell a few to get ready for retirement), so this one just sits around most of the time. We drive it about 2-3 days a month to keep the battery up.

Car is a 1992 Carrera C2 Cabriolet with Tiptronic. One owner (it was an executive car we took delivery in Jan/03 with 5,000 miles on the odo (shows 57,9XX miles currently). Car has been in Bay Area, CA its whole live since we have owned it (besides first 6 months it was in Reno, NV). Car is GrandPrix white with gold seats and gold carpet. It has black floor mats on top of the gold mats as well, and a black dash. It has the supple leather seat upgrade, 17" 91-92 style turbo wheels (factory) but they have 8"s out back because its not a wide body. Has stock cd stereo, but the CD-1 doesn't play cds for some reason. Car has never been in a wreck or fender bender. No dents on entire car. New windshield, new top, newish Bridgestone S-03(replaced about 5K ago) wheels re-done by Wheels America (but notice some scuffs on front right, but they aren't curb marks (on spokes). Porsche car cover and bag, rear tanneu cover etc. All documents and work done at local dealer car purchased from. All receipts of work done, and I think dad might have the sticker.

Any other questions to help a guy appraise a car I know nothing about, please ask. We've seen prices in the mid 20 to high 30 range, but we really don't know. we just want to be fair and have it go to a new home. My parents are getting too old to enjoy such a sports car.

One last thing, where would be the best place to post a car like this for sale? They don't seem to bring a lot of cash on ebay.

Thanks Rennlist!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a really odd market. I'm in the Bay Area too and in the process of appraising my totaled C4 and buying a new C2 cabriolet. Prices are all over the map! The fact your car is white and a tip are going to work against you I think. The mileage is great and the car sounds in lovely condition. Its probably worth hanging on for someone who will appreciate its condition and likes the color/transmission. there are more whites and reds for sale than anything else.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
FLIEGEN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Its a really odd market. I'm in the Bay Area too and in the process of appraising my totaled C4 and buying a new C2 cabriolet. Prices are all over the map! The fact your car is white and a tip are going to work against you I think. The mileage is great and the car sounds in lovely condition. Its probably worth hanging on for someone who will appreciate its condition and likes the color/transmission. there are more whites and reds for sale than anything else.

Good luck!
agreed, but my parents both want the car gone to buy a home theater system and to pay off some debt. They're willing to sell it at the bottom of the market to not have to pay for insurance and storage fees. A local dealer that sells consigned cars told him originally they could sell for 30, then they went back 6 months later to do it, and told him 15. lol. You can't even get a Kia for 15K. He got mad, through them the finger and said he'd just keep it. Now my mom is complaining it's taking up space in the driveway, so she BEGGED me to sell it for her. I'd bet they'd take low 20s if it was a REAL offer, and not someone just wasting their time, I'd had just hoped to get high 20s for it, since it's such a nice car.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FLIEGEN
agreed, but my parents both want the car gone to buy a home theater system and to pay off some debt. They're willing to sell it at the bottom of the market to not have to pay for insurance and storage fees. A local dealer that sells consigned cars told him originally they could sell for 30, then they went back 6 months later to do it, and told him 15. lol. You can't even get a Kia for 15K. He got mad, through them the finger and said he'd just keep it. Now my mom is complaining it's taking up space in the driveway, so she BEGGED me to sell it for her. I'd bet they'd take low 20s if it was a REAL offer, and not someone just wasting their time, I'd had just hoped to get high 20s for it, since it's such a nice car.
How about if I trade them home theater system for the car.

PM me if you have a number in mind.. I am always up for a good deal.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
FLIEGEN
Instructor

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
How about if I trade them home theater system for the car.

PM me if you have a number in mind.. I am always up for a good deal.
Do you have B&W speakers 800 series, and Krell class A amps? If so, lets make it happen. We told the stereo dealer to trade the car, they didn't think we were serious.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FLIEGEN
Do you have B&W speakers 800 series, and Krell class A amps? If so, lets make it happen. We told the stereo dealer to trade the car, they didn't think we were serious.
Now.. that's not really home theater system.. or at least not your typical setup. Good luck with the sale
Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
FLIEGEN
Instructor

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
Now.. that's not really home theater system.. or at least not your typical setup. Good luck with the sale
No its more of an Audiophile theater, but we like tunes too...
Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 PM
anto1150
Pro

Perfect B&W 800's match is Mark Levinson second series, not Krell....

sorry for OT
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

What ever you do, please!, don't sell it to Fabio...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anto1150
Perfect B&W 800's match is Mark Levinson second series, not Krell....
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best "not for sale" For Sale post seen in a long time!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Best "not for sale" For Sale post seen in a long time!

Almost as good as "Considering Selling My 93 America Roadster".

I had my $10,000 ready!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Lethal Farce
Intermediate

I am in the same boat selling a 1990 C2. One question not answered is; Where or what is the best place to advertise to sell one?
LF

Quick Reply: Need to sell mom's car, whats it worth?