have a look...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
spring-rates.pdf (15.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 03:51 AM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jaime, thanks for this thread. In a similar situation myself. Could you follow up on how they ride on street/spirited driving/track? Thanks! Oh, and did you order the H&R greens?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 964Q
Jaime, thanks for this thread. In a similar situation myself. Could you follow up on how they ride on street/spirited driving/track? Thanks! Oh, and did you order the H&R greens?
I am a bit confused here... H&R only has one part number listed for our cars... Manufacturer Part #: 29813 . That is what I ordered...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jaime I am a bit late getting in here but I have MO30 shocks and Intrax progressive springs. That put me down about 1.5" and makes a nice ride.
I have been stuck in the hospital all week but am suppose to get out today so I should be able to help you out in the next week or so or you could call me and I can help you thru on any parts you have install or take off questions on. Mine also was the new style on my 91.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iirc, you should be getting the greens, and the reds are actually listed as being for the 964 turbos. When I ordered mine, that's what I ordered.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Jaime I am a bit late getting in here but I have MO30 shocks and Intrax progressive springs. That put me down about 1.5" and makes a nice ride.
I have been stuck in the hospital all week but am suppose to get out today so I should be able to help you out in the next week or so or you could call me and I can help you thru on any parts you have install or take off questions on. Mine also was the new style on my 91.
Jim, sorry to hear man. I hope it was not something serious, but a week out in the hospital could have not been good... Let me know when you are well enough, I just need your wisdom when I do this... So I will have a nice chair with water and food close by so you can give directions without much stress or work..
Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

The best setup for a street only 964.

Stock Springs
Bilstein HD Shocks
Stock ROW/Euro ride height.
16" Wheels with Bridgestone S02

Nothing will drive better on regular roads at regular speeds. Nothing will feel better for long highway trips. Equipped with good 16" tires and new Bilsteins your Porsche will stay with a new Porsche in the twisty roads and leave most anything else for dead. What else do you need?

If you want to lower your car, the ride will suffer. Too low with stock parts will destroy the geometry and the car will be unstable and unpredictable. 17" and 18" wheels will harm ride and make car feel slower.

The wheels and tires in my Avatar were for the track, 17" OEM Porsche Sport Classic with Pilot Sport Cup. I sold those since I do not plan to track the car anymore and if I go back I will go with 16".

16" wheels do not look as nice, that is true.

Last edited by doug751; 08-29-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suspension feel is always very subjective, but with HDs and H&R Greens on my C4, I am a very happy bunny and think you will be too. Perfect for UK's crappy roads. Firm, but not unforgiving. Mine is lowered, below RoW but above RS. Set-up correctly, you shouldn't have any issues with erractic behaviour, just perfect street handling.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

My review:

I've got 3k miles now on my H&R green + Bilstein swap. The old original shocks weren't completely dead when I removed them at 58k miles, but I was getting some strange spring resonances on highway bumps.

After the swap all I can say is that it takes city bumps far better than before and doesn't feel any stiffer than with the stock bits. For more spirited driving, you might want to consider the H&R reds. The weird highway resonance from before is completely gone. Steering response and braking don't feel any different to me.

The actual swap is much easier than you would imagine. The parts list posted here included the top 13mm nuts on the shocks/struts, but I really don't think those are necessary at all. Also, the engine bottom cover needs to come off to get the rear shocks out, which I don't think is in the diy instructions. I had EPE in Natick run the alignment - and ride height to "something reasonable". It's definitely lower. Looks great.

ps- be careful if you put the top strut/shock nut back on with an impact. I used my electric impact, decided that I wanted it "tight", and snapped off the top of the brand new $300+ front left strut. Yowch!

Have fun!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jamie, sorry for being vague. I guess I was wondering if you got the green or red springs. Now that I have read a little more, I guess you went with the greens since the reds are for the turbo models. Pertaining to what meek and nick, I'm guessing both of you are riding on 17's and with H&R greens? Thanks for input nick, it seems like this is the setup to go with for street.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 964Q
Jamie, sorry for being vague. I guess I was wondering if you got the green or red springs. Now that I have read a little more, I guess you went with the greens since the reds are for the turbo models. Pertaining to what meek and nick, I'm guessing both of you are riding on 17's and with H&R greens? Thanks for input nick, it seems like this is the setup to go with for street.
No problem. I have learned a lot with this thread.

Quick Reply: Suspension Recommendations