Sponsored by:

engine oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
jim_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil additives

any comments on engine oil additives and there effects on our Porsche engines. any down sides to trying them. thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The only oil addative that I consider is ZDDP since this is in reduced quantities in today's oils. ZDDP is said to be important in maintaining proper lubrication of vital engine parts on air cooled cars. It is reduced in today's blends because, over long periods, it would clog the cats, and new cars warrant the cat for 10 years.

ZDDP can be found in some racing oil blends, Brad Penn, Motorcycle oil, and is also available as an addative, General Motors actually sells it over their parts counter.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Depends on the oil you use. I was putting a little bit of GE's EOS additive with Mobil 1 15W-50. Currently I have Brad Penn 20W-50 in my car and no oil additives are necessary AFAIK.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a search. Ask any car manufacturer. Oil additives void the engine warranty. Why trash a carefully engineered additive package with some secret-formula "motor honey"? Let the experts blend your additives. They design oil as a profession. Their work is tested.

Buy good oil. Change it according to the engine manufacturer's instruction. Go buy your favorite beverage with the money you saved on the additive.

Quick Reply: engine oil additives