Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive brain fade; reversed battery polarity & now ABS warning and stereo fried ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive brain fade; reversed battery polarity & now ABS warning and stereo fried ?

All,

After 10 day sit my '90 C2 was electrically dead and would not start, reason unknown. Pissed and hurried I set about the jump-start routine and fecked the connection, reversed polarity. Correcting that amid a string of impressive expletives, car started and performed w/o problems and holds the charge.

No prob - except the ABS light is on with attendant audio alert on start up and central warning indicator light. Stereo is also apparently fried and will not come on. Checked the radio fuse 38 and that was good. Amp (aftermarket) fuse has blown. Amp binned as I don't want the bloody thing anyway.

All up, what are opinions on getting the ABS sorted ? Car starts, runs, drives as normal. The beast is in on the rack now and codes will be pulled (non-Hammer).

Have I permanently hosed the ABS brain ? Any thoughts on the radio - is the head unit trashed or some upstream connection of it ? Any other fuse or relay to look into ?

Opinions welcomed.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could hard wire the radio direct to the battery see if it lights up. If it does you have a wiring problem. If not, bin it and get one of these http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._headunit.html

Superb piece of kit
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having done this myself a few years back because I was working too early in the morning and before my coffee ... The ABS is most likely the fuse, check it first. While the car may start and run, the alternator may be dead.

I blew a couple fuses and fried the alternator but no other issues (I did not have a radio in the car). My car died in the second session on day 1 of a 3-day track weekend with a dead alternator (the battery allowed it to run until it ran out of juice). It was most depressing.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom W,

Thanx much for reply. Per that, what fuse are you referring to with respect to ABS. I looked through the list of fuses on the fusebox cover and (IIRC) didn't see anything but relays associated with the ABS brain.

Also I would assume that a quick electrical check of the charging system would report any deficiency in alternator output, correct ?

MP

Quick Reply: Massive brain fade; reversed battery polarity & now ABS warning and stereo fried ?