Corbeau seat experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbeau seat experience

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with Corbeau FX1 or FX1 Pro seats for Xcross or DE ? I have searched but come up blank. Maybe thats telling me something.

Thanks
Lynn
Old 08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 365 Posts

I have the Corbeau Forzas, they are a nice very resonably priced entry level seat. They do the job expected of them
Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Thank you, Bill.

Lynn
Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have Forza's, and they fit me pretty well. The brackets that came with them are pretty easy to swap in and out, so I leave the stocks in most times, and swap to them for de's. Eventualy I will get a different set that fit me a bit better, but for now these are great for what I use them for.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts

Forzas are nice seats, but if you intend to club race with the PCA at any point, they are not legal. You gotta' sit in them to be sure they fit you - if you're really small they won't hold you very well.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:51 PM
amr89c4
Pro

I appreciate the feedback from all. DE is all I plan to do, with the C4. I have no plan at this time (he said as he stepped onto the slippery slope) to do any club PCA racing. I'm just looking for feedback on Corbeaus entry level seats, realizing they are most liklely not the same build quality as some of the other manufacturers mid to upper models. I'm looking at all the brands and models and in doing so ran across the Corbeau line, hence the calls for experienced opinions.

Thanks all,

Lynn
Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with Garrett above, make sure you sit in any seat you plan to purchase. I looked at many before eventually buying the Cobra Imola and a Cobra Imola GT for the passenger side. FIA approved and excellent seat for the price. Materials are very good and they were very comfortable, even over long distances.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just another note I thought of - the corbeau does not have much back support - you end up slouching a bit on long drives. After having my car fail a club race tech inspection the day of the race, I quickly installed a Sparco 2000 seat and was surprised at how much better back support it has. It might be because the Corbeau has a non-solid back portion - it's a flexible mesh versus a hard shell like the Sparco. For longer drives, I actually prefer the Sparco over the Corbeau, and I've used Corbeau Forza seats for about 10 years - back when they used to be FIA certified. If you are running a DE, you will probably want to be sure to spend the little extra money on the dual slider mount version - some clubs might not pass tech on a single slider mount.

Seats are so easy to remove and reinstall (in some cases), that if you save your stock seats, and just swap seats before an event, you'd have the best of both worlds. Kinda like brake pads - street ones suck at the track, and vice versa!

Hope that helps!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Garrett376

Do you know if the FX1-FX1Pro seats share the same construction design and materials with the Forzas?

Lynn
Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Lynn - I have not seen those seats... sorry
Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Lynn,

From what I can remember while looking for seats, the FX-1 and FX1 Pro have the solid shell construction and the Forza has the tubular steel frame construction which does not provide the back support that Garrett mentions above. If you are going to get any racing/harness seat, I highly recommend that you get a unit with a full hard shell, it is a world of difference, especially on long drives. Additionally, I think the Pro is a little wider than the basic seat, this is where sitting in them will make a difference. Just remember if you go with a wider seat, make sure that you will not be moving around in the seat.

I use my car for seat and track use. I have driven from Atlanta to VIR in my Cobras and felt amazingly well after the drive. I think that I felt better than when I had my stock seats. No back pain and not tired, even after 350 miles.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 AM
amr89c4
Pro

The FX1 Pro is narrower (up to 36 waist) and the FX1 is up to 40. The FX wide is larger yet but I don't recall the spec since I wasn't interested in a wider seat than the FX1. The FX series adverrtising implies its a composite hard shell.

Over in the 'Racing' forum someone also mentioned that they thought that single track seat sliders would not pass inspection at some tracks and suggested a dual track slider. Not sure what that means unless only one track or rail has the seat position lock tabs. I know my factory rails lock on both sides. I could see the importance of that in preventing a twisting load on one rail.

I currently have the original factory Porsche Sport Seats and while I like the way the hold you in place, I understand you cannot or should not use them with a harness. Most experienced DE drivers I have spoke to think the stock shoulder belts don't hold in in place well enough to eliminate supporting yourself on the steering wheel. They all agree there is a world of difference with a 5 point harness with a roll bar, which I am also looking for used. It all makes perfect sense to me and since I am just starting out and won't get to do more than 5-6 DEs a year at best, due to business travel I thought I would forego the expensive models for now. Perhaps that may prove to be a false economy.

Thanks,

Lynn
Old 08-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the Pros. They are in fact a little narrower than the FX-1 if memory serves.
I sat in them and liked them immediately but preferred the Pro. They will do for the time being but you do seem to get what you pay for in seats. The seats are quite upright so I shimmed them up by almost an inch in front- perfect.

I later got the inflatable lumbar support and recommend that you do too.

Quick Reply: Corbeau seat experience