to repair or not repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to repair or not repair?

I installed in my 964 the 2 new rear Cup 1 (Replicas) and I was planning on trying to repair the original Cup 1s
Last night I was with a friend that is a retired Navy officer, (he was in charge of fighter jets maintenance when in active duty) and he told me that using a resoldered wheel may be a bad idea.
Apparently in planes when a wheel is damaged they no longer use it.
He even said that a navy mechanic lost a hand because a damaged wheel exploded when he was trying to inflate the plane tire.
My 2 original rear wheels have tiny leaks that made them lose air gradually but steadily when they where installed in the 964.
I really don´t want to discard this wheels but now I am thinking on keeping them as they are (unrepaired) in my basement.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would personally only be willing to repair cosmetic damage to a wheel. Any structural issues and I'd call the wheel trash. Too much at risk.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Where are the leaks? Sometimes it's trivial like sanding down the inner lips. That may be all you need.

Small repairs like straightening a bend would be OK for street driving, but I wouldn't use welded wheels. I've seen other people use them, but I personally would not. Besides, welding a wheel isn't exactly cheap, if done right, so on a Cup I wheel I wouldn't even bother.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I don't think we run the same air pressure in our wheels as in the airplane's

As long as the fix (weld) was done correctly and the wheel is perfectly round and balanced it should be fine...

In Puerto Rico, where most roads are all F* up, fixing rims is an everyday event...

Did I mentioned how much I love the roads here in FL?!!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaime if you saw the roads here in Argentina you wouldn´t think that Portorican roads are so bad
Old 08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple good alloy wheel shops in this area, and they repair some pretty significant damage (including welding) all the time. I'm thinking that if they ever had liability concerns (i.e., failed repair blowing out and causing the car to lose control, tire guy getting limbs blown off), they would cease to make these repairs. But they have a thriving business. I've used them and I would again.

Quick Reply: to repair or not repair?