Sponsored by:

Now that my clock is out...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:35 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Now that my clock is out...

and the wires with the small round cly connectors have falled out of the clock housing connector...

I started the car and since its dark I can see that the headlights are not bright... seems the alt is not working now.

Can anyone give me a work around? I want the clock out, is there a way to get the alt to start charging the battery without the clock? I know on my early 911 the alt gets 'excited' and starts charging by reving the engine after start... that didn't work in this case

thanks fellas.

good news is the Vitesse MAF and piggyback are really making the car run awesome! now I just need charging system... I could've waited to remove the clock but no I had to get anxious...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 AM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/

does anyone know what the color of the wire that goes to position 11 on the clock is? I am thinking If I connected it to a bulb so it could register then the charging system would function...

Light 1 - spoiler
Light 2 - cabrio
Light 3 - airbag
Light 4 - not used
Light 5 - “toothed belt indicator” (fan belt)
Light 6 - side marker light
Light 7 - trailer turn signal
Light 8 - automatic transmission
Light 9 - seat belt
Light 10 - catalyzer
Light 11 - battery
Lights 12, 13 illuminate the clock face.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 AM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Here is a helpful email I got

Since you don't have airbags, then you can actually just pull the clock out. The car will function fine, although you may be missing some warning lights. If you read Robin's site <http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/> http://p-car.com/diy/clockrepair/ , it covers removal and goes into detail about the clock.

The warning lights I decided I wanted from the clock were the Spoiler warning light and the alternator/battery light. I didn't have a second fan belt or airbags and wasn’t concerned about the remaining lights. I read through the description of all warning lights in the owner’s manual and decided that I could sacrifice the "Brake lining" warning light since I visually check my brake pads frequently. I also found the Awd [interlock] warning light was not used on my car (C2). The windshield washer fluid warning light was another light that I could give up.

I then stared at the wiring diagram for a while and figured out that almost all the warning lights on the dash are triggered by the central informer (silver box with VDO sticker) under the dash to the left of the steering column.

So, I unplugged the two bundles from the central informer and figured out which plug was which by comparing wire colors with the wiring diagram. I removed the Green/yellow wire (2/14 : socket 2, wire 14) for the spoiler warning light from the central informer plug. I then removed the Brown/Grey wire (2/18, about four wires away) for the brake lining light and plugged it into 2/14 where the spoiler warning wire used to be. Now, when there's a problem with the spoiler, the brake lining light in the Oil pressure gauge lights up.

The next item was the battery/alternator light. I decided to borrow the Awd warning light since it looks kind of like a battery. Since my car is a C2, that warning light function was not wired from the central informer at all. So I went to the clock plug and found the socket where two blue wires were. I made a 12” jumper wire to fit in that socket and ran it towards the Oil pressure/temp gauge. I then pulled out that gauge and wired the jumper into spot #10 on the right (as the gauge sits in the car) wiring plug. You can double check this by turning on the ignition and making sure the Awd symbol lights up. Don’t forget to put a bulb into that socket if you also have a C2.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

any ideas?

Quick Reply: Now that my clock is out...