Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does this verbiage sound like a scam to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago I was kicking around buying a Ferrari 308. I bid on a couple, including a beautiful one on the East Coast whose auction was yanked after a couple days. I assumed it was sold locally. I then got an "Offer To Buy" that read almost identical to your email: "Buyer Protection, test it and ship it back if you are not like", etc.. A few days later, I got an email from eBay warning me not to do business with this seller (as if I would), and that there was a fraud investigation going on. As if your spidey-sense didn't already tell you: scram, it's a scam.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
Dude! Seriously, 22k for a 996 turbo from a guy who writes with an accent?
I know... I am just sharing this because this is the first time I've seen this on a paid Autotrader advertisement. Sometimes deals come around on fun or salvaged cars... who knows, it was worth a couple emails and phone attempts to investigate, and gives me something fun to share with all of you
Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That gives me the creeps and I want to punch them in the face for being crooks, but it does make a good story.

Here is the reason for the kneejerk reaction:

I inquired into a 1990 E30 M3 a couple of years ago that was for sale in Montana. 78k miles $8000, a good price, not a complete steal, but I figured it may have been because of a limited market in southwestern Montana right? Similar to your story, the guy would not talk on the phone- email only. But, of course, he needed the money immediately. OK, I wrote, my cousin lives 45 minutes away, give me your address, and he'll be there in 2 hours. If the car is as you described, he'll give you 80 $100 bills for a key and clean title. It was completely true, but he certainly wasn't expecting that. Needless to say, I never heard a word back, but I did go ahead and do some homework on the VIN. The car was registered in Texas a couple of weeks earlier, screwed up liens, and within 36 hours the seller's profile didn't exist on eBay. No more eBay car shopping for me.

If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing Garrett, good reminder to all of us to be careful dealing long distance with people we don't know.

With these scammers, they always have some sort of crazy payment scheme. I have been trying to sell some parts and wheels on Craigs List and it immediately generates scammer responses on anything above $500. I think their angle is to try to buddy up with you and then when their cockamamie payment scheme blows up, they end up asking for your bank info so they can wire you the money. Then we all know what happens if you do......

Hotmail account - Clue 1
Broken and poor english and grammar - Clue 2
Crazy payment/delivery scheme - Clue 3

Here's an example of one I got recently after I had responded to an email asking if the wheels were still available. I thought the intial inquiry was legit and then got this....

"Hello
Thanks for your prompt reply.I work in an Automobile workshop in NY and I actually want to buy the wheels and make payment as fast as possible but i will appreciate it if we can both deal on transparency and honesty...... My mode of payment for this item will be through Money Orders because, that's the only means of payment i have access to presently and i don't mind offering you $50 extra provided you can reserve the item for me for just a day, while i make payment and also,i will wait till the Money Orders clears your bank and you have your CASH with you before i arrange for the shipping. As for the shipping,i am shipping the wheels to our workshop in New York and it will be handled by my shipping company as soon as you verify and confirmed payment, so all i need from you is to know when you will be available at your address so that my shipping company can come and pick up the item.If this sounds good and you are okay with my payment and shipping arrangements, do let me have your full Name and Address plus your direct phone number as it will be written on the Money Orders so that i can forward it to my finance house to prepare it for you to receive it on time.Thanks and get back to me as soon as possible.
Regards..."
Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Yes, the crappy grammar is what gets me and unfortunately eliminates a lot of buyers of things I might sell, too. Not to sound snotty, but I usually disregard all potential transactions with people when someone can't handle (grammatically or logistically!) a simple transaction like your example, Steve. It seems like it will just get harder and harder to sell anything in the coming years... remember the good old days on eBay?!!!! No trust anymore.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some great wind up responses on here www.419eater.com

They even manage to get money from the wannabe scammers!

Quick Reply: does this verbiage sound like a scam to you?