Sponsored by:

Suspension problem - massive oversteer on right turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:48 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Massive oversteer on right turns

I was at Texas World Speedway a week ago for a DE with my 964. I had a great day on Saturday, played lead/follow with Greg H. (TR6) for 4 sessions. We had a blast right up to the last lap of the 4th session on Saturday. Our cars are so even horsepower-wise it was really fun running nose to tail for many laps as neither of us could pull on the other. Anyway, I digress, my point is, that my car did fine right up to the last lap Saturday.

On Sunday morning I ran down the freeway access road from the track to the gas station a mile away and filled up. No drama. Then I go out on the track for my first session on Sunday and on the warmup lap I almost spin the car at warmup lap speeds in T3 (the first right hander). The tail just tried to come around on me after turn in. I thought maybe I hit some oil or something and go on and then I turn right at T4 and the same thing happened. The next 4 lefts, no problem. Next 2 rights, problem. So for some reason, I had a massive oversteer on right hand turns. It continues to happen all the way through the track that way as I limp back and pit in thinking I had a flat on my left rear or something.

Tires (good RA-1's) were fine and air pressures where they should be. No sign of oil, etc. Jacked it up and went over the suspension, nothing visibly wrong, everything attached and tight bushings look fine, etc.... Ride height and alignment looked ok to the eye and it drives straight, just didn't like right handers. Had several folks go over it with me several times and we found nothing to explain the sudden change in handling from the afternoon before to the next morning. I loaded it on the trailer and headed home after lunch.

Today, I took it over to my buddy's recently built home garage mahal and we put it on his 2 post lift. We went over it again just to make sure I didn't miss something at the track. Same result. But being a holiday weekend, neither one of us were ambitious enough to start pulling things off today, so I'll get at it next weekend. I'm guessing I have a bad shock (left rear?). Comments and input from the peanut gallery requested please.

Here's a shot or two of his garage. My cars alternate living there thanks to his generosity. I'm pretty darn lucky to have a friend such as him.
Attached Images    

Last edited by deep_uv; 10-06-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Making title more appropriate to the problem.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, no help on the suspension thing. However that garage is awesome. I wish I had friends like that.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I had a problem with an incorrectly routed fuel breather line that dumped fuel on right handers when the tank was full. Could not really see that anything was leaking because it dried so fast, but you could smell it. Otherwise check the left rear shock.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I had a problem with an incorrectly routed fuel breather line that dumped fuel on right handers when the tank was full. Could not really see that anything was leaking because it dried so fast, but you could smell it. Otherwise check the left rear shock.
Thanks, Larry, I will check for anything that could be dripping on that side. I'm not noticing any fuel smell, but I'll pay attention to that. I'm betting on the shock.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:00 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this will help, but changing my front and rear ARB this week, I found the LHS front ARB clamp was not as tight as it should have been, it was probably loose by 1/4 inch or so, maybe an issue like this?

Kevin.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a 993 do that on once to one of my techs at my last job. Turned out it was a missing gas cap. Hopefully something as simple for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you check every last nut/bolt on the sways, suspension, etc? It might be that something just is loose like a drop link or sway bar bolt. I had a nut come off my boxster race car front sway and yeah, I had massive oversteer, we fixed the bolt and everything was fine.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by kgorman
Did you check every last nut/bolt on the sways, suspension, etc? It might be that something just is loose like a drop link or sway bar bolt. I had a nut come off my boxster race car front sway and yeah, I had massive oversteer, we fixed the bolt and everything was fine.
While I didn't check torque on everything, I did verify that everything was attached and tight. I'll likely replace the shocks and springs and double check the torque on everything else when I do. Thanks, good point.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by deep_uv
...I'm pretty darn lucky to have a friend such as him.
Hell. You're pretty darn lucky to have a friend at all...
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, I know it sounds too simple, but my similar experience turned out to be overflowing gasoline also...a couple of years ago at VIR. I checked that immediately because a friend with the same car had the same experience at Mosport a few months earlier.

Otherwise, something is up with the left rear suspension.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by Bull
Steve, I know it sounds too simple, but my similar experience turned out to be overflowing gasoline also...a couple of years ago at VIR. I checked that immediately because a friend with the same car had the same experience at Mosport a few months earlier.

Otherwise, something is up with the left rear suspension.
Thanks, Bob! Much better response than TR6's.

So, is that a full tank thing? Did you smell fuel too? I only filled up to about 3/4 tank when I filled up that morning. I will definitely check that, as it will be alot cheaper than replacing suspension parts.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, except Greg of course.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
TR6
Drifting

You're welcome.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Bob! Much better response than TR6's.

So, is that a full tank thing? Did you smell fuel too? I only filled up to about 3/4 tank when I filled up that morning. I will definitely check that, as it will be alot cheaper than replacing suspension parts.

Tank was less than full, but more than 3/4. In both cases, it simply turned out to be a cross threaded gas cap. For me, this seems easier to do and not so easy to notice when putting the cap on the 964s. It can seem to be seated properly when it is not. I didn't smell an unusual amount of fuel, but my sense of smell isn't great.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Ever figure out what was going on?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Ever figure out what was going on?
Haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet. Spending most of my weekends and money on getting the SC ready for the fall track season. I'll have to pull the left rear coilover if I don't find any leaking fluids. My suspicion is still that the left rear shock lost it's charge.

Quick Reply: Suspension problem - massive oversteer on right turns