Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension problem - massive oversteer on right turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. Was just wondering what else I need to add to my pre-track check list.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got off my **** long enough to take a diagnostic cruise to see if I could duplicate the problem. I've just been putting all of my time into my SC project, so the poor 964 has been sitting. With the awesome weather we're having, I went top off (the car's) and I could smell fuel on hard right handers at speed. I was able to progressively push it and get it to slide just like at the track. I'm definitely dealing with a fuel spill problem on or under my left rear wheel. I could smell it afterward in the left rear wheel well too. It was late on Sunday, so I decided not to start taking thing's apart. The good news is, that's gotta be cheaper than suspension parts. I'll tear into it next weekend. Thanks guys for the multiple inputs to check for a fuel spill!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I finally got off my **** long enough to take a diagnostic cruise to see if I could duplicate the problem. I've just been putting all of my time into my SC project, so the poor 964 has been sitting. With the awesome weather we're having, I went top off (the car's) and I could smell fuel on hard right handers at speed. I was able to progressively push it and get it to slide just like at the track. I'm definitely dealing with a fuel spill problem on or under my left rear wheel. I could smell it afterward in the left rear wheel well too. It was late on Sunday, so I decided not to start taking thing's apart. The good news is, that's gotta be cheaper than suspension parts. I'll tear into it next weekend. Thanks guys for the multiple inputs to check for a fuel spill!!!!
I had the same problem on the track! it turned out to be the fuel filler neck spewing gas out on hard right-handers. The gas flows down a drain tube from the filler area and exits below the frame, just in front of the door. The gas would "spew" back and land on the rear tire, causing it to loose traction.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:42 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Thanks guys for the help. I finally found time to work on it this weekend. It turns out I'm one very special kind of dumb ***. Just before I put the car on the lift, I decided to check the gas cap and fuel filler neck as you guys have mentioned. Lo and behold the gas cap was just sitting on top of the fuel filler neck not screwed in. What a dip ****. That cost me an entire DE day as I missed all of that Sunday because of it. On the bright side, it was a the easiest fix I could've imagined. To make up for it and get that day back, I'm on my way to Clubregistration.net to sign up for this weekend's DE at TWS.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

We all have done the bonehead move. A little crow for dinner is a lot more palateable than the Big Check!

Glad to see it was no big deal!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:56 PM
TR6
Drifting

Thanks guys for the help. I finally found time to work on it this weekend. It turns out I'm one very special kind of dumb ***. Just before I put the car on the lift, I decided to check the gas cap and fuel filler neck as you guys have mentioned. Lo and behold the gas cap was just sitting on top of the fuel filler neck not screwed in. What a dip ****. That cost me an entire DE day as I missed all of that Sunday because of it. On the bright side, it was a the easiest fix I could've imagined. To make up for it and get that day back, I'm on my way to Clubregistration.net to sign up for this weekend's DE at TWS.
Congratulations! The dumb *** trophy is now yours. I'll ship the trophy to you so it can sit in your garage for a while instead of mine. At least until Globe or I do something to top you, which probably won't take too long since Globe's using power tools now...
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by TR6
Congratulations! The dumb *** trophy is now yours. I'll ship the trophy to you so it can sit in your garage for a while instead of mine. At least until Globe or I do something to top you, which probably won't take too long since Globe's using power tools now...
I accept it with great humility. It will be in good hands from here on.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I'll bring you an asshat to wear too...

And don't worry, it won't be long before the trophy has a new home yet again.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I was right! Just kidding, glad to hear it was a simple fix. At least you didn't leave it on top of the pump.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
I was right! Just kidding, glad to hear it was a simple fix. At least you didn't leave it on top of the pump.

Actually that's what I was imagining as I opened the fuel filler door. I was relieved to see it was there and then disgusted to discover I'd left it unscrewed.

Oh well, it's a happy ending anyway.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
TR6
Drifting

I have a spare fuel cap that I ended up with (kept the old one when I bought a new one trying to diagnose a fuel odor last year). After reading this, maybe I should add my spare fuel cap to the spares I carry in my track box. I'd hate to lose a track weekend if I ever forgot my cap at a gas station!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Having performed this dumbass trick multiple times, my current solution is to always stuff the gas cap in my pants pocket as soon as I remove it. That way I don't lose it, and I get a quick reminder as soon as I climb into the car. Or, alternatively, I impress the young women with that rather large object in my pants. Either way, I win.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by TR6
I have a spare fuel cap that I ended up with (kept the old one when I bought a new one trying to diagnose a fuel odor last year). After reading this, maybe I should add my spare fuel cap to the spares I carry in my track box. I'd hate to lose a track weekend if I ever forgot my cap at a gas station!
Nothing a little duct tape and a rag won't take care of.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
TR6
Drifting

Nothing a little duct tape and a rag won't take care of.
And a lighter. Oh wait... That's only in Beruit.

Quick Reply: Suspension problem - massive oversteer on right turns