Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRASH! DUI hit my car today and made a big mess!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CRASH! DUI hit my car today and made a big mess!

A very sad day today. A driver under the influence drifted into my lane and I narrowly avoided a head-on collision. Unfortunately he hit the passenger door and rear panel completely crumpling them.

The guy ran from the scene but was apprehended by the police shortly afterwards. Seems he has insurance but at this point I don't know what they will agree to pay.

Firstly, can anyone recommend the best body shop in the SF Bay area to get my baby fixed? I need to supply this to the insurance company asap.

Secondly, those with experience dealing with insurance, do I have my insurance company pay and then follow-up with the guys insurance company or should I pull the police report and deal directly with his insurance company? I would think having my insurance cover the cost and THEN follow-up would present the best scenario, right? I'm a little shook-up still and perhaps not thinking as clearly as I might usually...

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?i...eupdooryp9.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?i...arpaneluk2.jpg

Last edited by Kahdmus; 07-20-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

What a bastard.

Unfortunately, I think his insurance will refuse any claim as he was DUI, so you'll have to deal with him not his insurance co.

I would start the process through your own insurance company, its up to them who they recover the cost of repairs through. Much better for them to chase the guy for money than you.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ouch! Really? I think its best I start with my insurance company as they would bring more pressure to bear regardless.

Anyone know a good shop in SF Area?

I hate to think how much devaluation hit my car today.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Avery Diamond
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kahdmus: Don't be in a hurry ! No need to make big decisions right now. Use your insurance carrier to deal with the other guy's insurance company directly. I'd call Rector in Burlingame 650 348 0111 for a referral (stay away from Anchor ). Avenue Auto in San Carlos re-painted my 95 993 (was keyed), and did a great job with the black paint. They are in the AAA network. Speak with Dennis (owner) for best results on time, repairs, etc. I know San Carlos is far from you, but....
I would avoid Arco in San Bruno.
Hope this helps.
Avery Diamond 1averyd@comcast.net
91 964 Coupe
Burlingame
650 207 4897
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

This sucks..

Deal with only your insurance company, that's why you pay the premium. Have it repaired to your standards. Inspect the car thoroughly to understand the extent of the damage. Your ins. will go after the morons ins. company. Just be thankful he has insurance, because if he didn't and you don't have un-insured motorist, you'd be in a painful place.

Can't help you on the best place in SF
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking at the pictures....

The door/glass needs to be replaced. The quarter panel could be hammered out and faired in with plastic filler. That is an issue with value on resale. Throw your weight around and demand the quarter panel be replaced. Inspect for body deformation in way of the existing windows, windows don't flex but transfer stress from one side to the other. I'm talking about the rear window/roof line. The more subtle damage you can point out , the more likely the repair shop will replace bent metal. How's the gap on the rear deck lid, still even? Oil lines going to the cooler not crushed?

It's important you set the standard initially w/ the repair shop, so you don't have surprises later when you accept the car.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Really nice replies guys, its nice to know when people sincerely feel your pain! Thank you!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In most states the guys insurance company can't deny him coverage because he was DUI. They will drop him afterwards. It doesn't matter anyway since you will file with your company and have the repairs done to your satisfaction, and they will subrogate the claim against his company. Get new body panels and refuse the "bang, bash and fill" routine.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Unhappy

Well, get your car back into the shape your kid's drew and you knew. And best luck on this suckey situation!

Last edited by elbeee964; 07-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 PM
DanielT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BodyStyle in San Jose, owned by Cecil Beach

Yeaman's Autobody in Redwood City, owned by Scott Yeaman

both shops do excellent work and are both owned by long time PCA members and Porsche racers.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw hell. Sorry to see that.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Aw hell. Sorry to see that.
Thanks Steve, it really hurts to be honest. I'm glad nobody was hurt or worse but my car does not deserve this.

Thing I'm most scared about is having odd panels I personally think the car willl need a complete respray...wonder what the insurance company's will say?!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
TR6
Drifting

Don't forget to file a "diminished value" claim with the insurance company to cover the hit on resale value that the crash history will cause.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry to see but glad its metal damages and not you.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

Howard, sorry to hear but glad you're OK. Was the other driver in a truck or higher car?

Quick Reply: CRASH! DUI hit my car today and made a big mess!