Sponsored by:

Tick, Tick, Tick.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Tick, Tick, Tick.....

So I've noticed lately my car ticks a bit when its warmed up. I notice mostly when driving past a wall or barrier with my window open. The oil level is fine so I'm not sure what causes it. Could it be the weight of oil I'm using (20-50) or is it something more major? I've only had the car for 2 months and its my first 911 so I want to make sure all is OK. What are the signs of needing a valve adjustment? Do the valves start to make noise (ticking) when they need adjusting? I've looked through my repair bills I got with the car and haven't seen that having happened. The car is a 93 with 44,000 miles.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of the valves could be a little lose (read: not tight enough). No big deal if it's the same sound every. Adjust the valves on the next service.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Either exhaust leak or valves. More than likely valves... loose is better than tight, so it won't cause any harm if you leave it until the next service.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on valves

BTW, when my car idles I have more "sewing machine noise" than I expected. My car has always had this and it has not gotten worse. It seems to be coming from on top of the engine, not down where the valves are. Is this intake valve noise resonating through the intake manifold or do we tend to have noisy bits on top of the engine. I know it is next to impossible to have an online discussion about slight changes in noise, but I thought I would bring it up.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the risk of embaressing myself I've always regarded Porsche flat six engines to have a unique sound when idling. I'd describe it as;

ticker...ticker...ticker...ticker......... <said quickly>

I've heard it with 964, boxster, 996, 997, etc. So I would say what you are hearing is pretty normal.

Of course....they sound much better at full chat!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
At the risk of embaressing myself I've always regarded Porsche flat six engines to have a unique sound when idling. I'd describe it as;

ticker...ticker...ticker...ticker......... <said quickly>

I've heard it with 964, boxster, 996, 997, etc. So I would say what you are hearing is pretty normal.

Of course....they sound much better at full chat!
I kinda thought the same thing, but I wanted to double check my assumptions with others. I have listened to a 964 that needed the valves adjusted and it is a different tick.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

+1 on unique sound. Isn't that one of the reasons we bought em in the first place?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeroman
+1 on unique sound. Isn't that one of the reasons we bought em in the first place?
I bought mine because of that **** eating grin I get when I merge onto the express way.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first took my brother for a ride in my RSA, he got in while it was resting at idle. He said it sounded like a VW Beetle. Then I took him for a spirited ride and he said "I take that back. It sounds like a VW Beetle injected with a mixture of steriods and crack!"
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
aeroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
I bought mine because of that **** eating grin I get when I merge onto the express way.
amen brother.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
When I first took my brother for a ride in my RSA, he got in while it was resting at idle. He said it sounded like a VW Beetle. Then I took him for a spirited ride and he said "I take that back. It sounds like a VW Beetle injected with a mixture of steriods and crack!"
They guy I bought mine from told me it was like a VW on asteroids. I suspect he meant steroids, but as he spoke English as a second language I think he got confused. Of course after driving it a while I think asteroids might be the right analogy.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:36 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
They guy I bought mine from told me it was like a VW on asteroids. I suspect he meant steroids, but as he spoke English as a second language I think he got confused. Of course after driving it a while I think asteroids might be the right analogy.
At least he didn't say 'hemoroids'....
Old 06-24-2008, 04:41 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Well asteroids and steroids translate the same way in most languages because of their Greek origin, so I don't think it was a language barrier Come to think of it, hemorrhoids fall in the same category...
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Well asteroids and steroids translate the same way in most languages because of their Greek origin, so I don't think it was a language barrier Come to think of it, hemorrhoids fall in the same category...
they all involve flaming things under great heat and stress.. good point ilko
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
aeroman
Rennlist Member

You guys are cracking me up.

Quick Reply: Tick, Tick, Tick.....