Sponsored by:

Aaarrrgghhh..... smoke on idle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gchristofi
Ah, I see. I actually wrote that as a table with columns but the auto formatting has taken out what it interpreted as fatuous spaces.... The Bar readings are all for my engine as it is now. The first reading for each rpm level represents a cold engine and the 2nd reading a warm engine (with guage at 8 0.clock). I never really noted what the old reading were prior to removing the breather but I know it did not show 3bar on cold idle!
when WARM and idling, the normal pressure would be between 1-2 bar, most nearer 1 (depending on temp). When COLD you should easyily have more than 2 bar, and IIRC mine was comfortably over 3 bar. This is normal imho, NOT the 1 bar you had before.

Keep an eye out and let us know! Good luck
Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS_Sam
I have recently bought a '90 c4 with 50000mi on the clock and have also noticed smoke at idle but only once the car is on temperature. Have you solved your problem yet?
Yes, a top end rebuild was the final solution with valve guide wear as the culprit. I would certainly investigate all the other possible causes mentioned in this thread and others like it first. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 PM
RS_Sam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some preliminary prices for a top end rebuild of $3.2k but the shop said that they do not do only the top they replace all of the gaskets which comes to a grand total of $4.5k. They replace all the gaskets with the new teflon type to avoid future leakage claims that could originate from the bottom end. I will most certainly investigate all other possible causes first. The shop also said that it is not possible to machine the heads to accept the later gaskets they only skim them. First check will be oil level and then the power steering lines. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Aaarrrgghhh..... smoke on idle.