Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaarrrgghhh..... smoke on idle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Aaarrrgghhh..... smoke on idle.

Hello

Car has been running great for the past few weeks and hasn’t had that intermittent issue power loss for the best part of 300 miles since fiddling with every connector, sensor and thingumybob I could reach.

Today however, when I stopped at lights after a 10 mile run, I noticed exhaust was smoking noticeably. Had just gone down a slight hill and stopped. The only other time I have ever seen smoke from my exhaust was just after a recent service 6 weeks ago but that time it cleared after a few miles of hard driving.

This time, the smoke apparently clears as the engine is revved above idle but returns when idle is restored. I haven't been on a good run yet though.

Just did a oil check on dipstick, car idling, at norm temp on level ground and the oil is way over top mark (actually goes to the twist in the dipstick)

Is this the type of symptoms one can expect with oil overfill????? What else might it be (gulp).

Bad timing as off to Le Mans early am tomorrow. If it is due to overfill, any ideas on easiest way to remove the excess with no access to a shop?

Cheers
Greg

(ps all you other guys going to Le Mans, if you see a smoking white 964 stuck on hard shoulder of French Autoroute, feel free to stop and assist )
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

964s don't tolerate over-fill very well. Get the excess out ASAP and you might be OK. Main problem is fouling the intake, particularly the idle stabilizer and the air flow sensor. Smoke is oil getting into the cylinders - no problem with that as long as you don't look like an old-fashioned mosquito fogger.

A turkey baster will suck out the oil - just insert down the fill pipe and keep withdrawing oil until done. I overfilled mine once but got the excess out right away. So far (4+ years) no problems.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this is certainly an over fill. Springer gives you the right advice. Just get it out and you should be OK.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to much oil .
What does the oil gauge say ?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
gchristofi
Racer

neither of my turkey basters go anywhere near fitting down the oil filler neck.. they are to big diameter? And perhaps too short too. Maybe you guys have something different in the U.S.?

Other option to crack the drain nut at bottom of tank.... is this a good idea if I do it really slowly just enough to let some oil drip out?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Indycam, oil gauge is showing right in the middle which is the strange thing as this should normally be OK when hot and idling right? . I don't have 100% confidence that I'm reading the dipstick correctly but I but there is definitely oil residue on one surface right up to the twist Figure I'll let out a litre and see where I am then.

How long might it take to burn off what is in the engine already and why is it only apparent at idle?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Idle gives the scavenging pump a chance to move most of the oil to the tank, and therefore oil level is highest at idle. As I said it has been 4+ years, and it may not have been a turkey baster or perhaps I had some tubing to extend the reach. I do recall I got it out from the top with the engine running at idle to keep the oil in the tank. Also note that oil expands when heated, so a hot engine will have higher level than a cold one. Opening the bottom drains risks an Exxon on the garage floor, but the important thing is to get the level down.

As far as the oil in the intake, a long trip with lots of spirited runs, especially up hill will get the engine hot and help propel the oil through the intake system. That will also exercise the air flow meter and hopefully the wiper will clear a space for it to operate. Wait too long the oil will attract dirt, get gummy, and create problems.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Overfill won't hurt it, but thats opening up a can of arguement around here.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Guys, thanks for all the answers. Have released 1.2 litres from the tank plug (was aiming for 1L but it can be tough to get that plug back in!!!)

Will now go for a drive and see what happens......
Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeroman
Overfill won't hurt it, but thats opening up a can of arguement around here.
but I think that we can all agree that seeing our cars smoke can be heartbreaking and may possibly result in increased stress and heart palpitations.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Mine sounded like an old nasty diesel .
The sound of it knocking so badly , hurt badly .
So whats the octane of motor oil ?

Then a little while later I had a rod bearing go thump thump whack whack .
Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Have covered another 200 miles or so since removing some oil. I'm not running just over the min notch on the dipstick. At first I thought the issue had gone completely but then noticed the problem again on the 4th or 5th time taking the car on a long hard run.

So it is an intermittent symptom that doesn't seem to relate to the level of oil in the car? or how it has been driven leading up to the smoking idle? I'm confused. If the piston rings were worn, wouldn't I expect to see puffs of smoke under hard accleratoin too?

What else could this be?

Another potential option is running rich? What does that look like in comparison to oil smoke?

Even stranger is that the car feels like it's running stronger and smoother than ever.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

A leak down test will tell you about the rings and valves .
An air / fuel meter will tell you about the air / fuel ratio .
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Christer
Race Car

It could also be worn valve guides.....but I would get it looked at.....good timing though....
Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 PM
gchristofi
Racer

I guess this type of problem would always be considered bad timing!

Anyone know if poor valve adjustment could cause smoking at idle as described? My car is sounding much more 'tickety tickety tick... ' than ever before.

Just grasping final straws before accpeting a top end rebuild is on my agenda.... :-(

Quick Reply: Aaarrrgghhh..... smoke on idle.