Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab child seat belt solution (your thoughts please)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab child seat belt solution (your thoughts please)

Hi All

I have been mulling over the problems we face with the child seat in the back of the cab's we have. Mine will be big enough to ride in about 4 months.

Certain child seats fit in the back but the lap belts are insufficient, we cannot mount a retractable belt on the parcel shelf due to the hood folding.

Possible Solution.
Can we use the lap belt to secure the base of the child seat, I would suggest using an additional purpose built ratchet straps that are used to extend a nornal seat belt. These gadgets enable you to tighten the lap belt without relying on the lap belt itself.

The tether strap could be used to secure the rear of the seat. When looking for anchorage points, I noticed the anti roll bar sits snuggly at the back of the seats when the roof is down. This is a structural part of the roof and would be strong enough to place an anchor point in. The tether strap would connect to the anchor when the roof was down, not sure it would work when the roof was up, but anthor anchor point could be placed on the rear parcel shelf and the strap swapped over when needed.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Rob
91 964 Cab
66 912 Coupe
Jersey, UK
Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

I am interested to hear what people say. I did not realize that there were lap only in cabs and was considering getting gone myself. I have a 15month old boy and will not get a cab if I cannot take him along.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This might help you a little. Although my car is a coupe, the shoulder belt solution did not work for me. Read my post #5

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/426760-help-need-rear-child-seat.html

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 AM
RobMcConnell
Intermediate

Hi

You can fit a retracting shoulder belt but when the hood is down it would not do any favours to the rear screen which is plastic and would sit awkwardly on top of the retractors.

My Option of placing a tether point on the parcel shelf as well as the anti roll bar would solve this problem. I wanted the option of a child seat with the hood up or down, I am going to place the tether points on the back shelf of my 912 also.

Thanks
Rob
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Toon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You coulds also opt to buy secondhand a Porsche childseat from the 90's (from Romer if I'm not mistaken) and they require only the 1 belt ....

they are on ebay somethimes
Old 06-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Anyone else have an opinion on what I am proposing?

Thanks
Rob
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure I'm tracking on the antiroll with the roof...do you have a pic?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 PM
walterj
Intermediate

How about removing the factory "jump" seat and using a 5 point child seat with its own straps and semi-permanently mounting it to the body? It would be concealed behind the child seat and the original could be replaced when he is big enough.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

In response to Brentflyfish and Rob:
Brentflyfish: I would not recommend a cab if you plan to transport your child regularly (although I have a cab and a 17 month old). You ask for input and IMHO, travelling with a child in a carseat in the back with the top down is not a great idea. Cigarette Butts, stones, bugs, etc... more readily land in the back seat vs. the front. Additionally, I think it is harder to install securely the child seat in the cab.

Rob: I have done as you suggest (used the lap belt to secure the Britax Roundabout seat) and anchored to a point on what you refer to as the 'rear parcel shelf'. I only transport with the top up and using this method only take my child to daycare and back (less than 1km on 40km/hr residential streets). I have confidence in this installation but typically take my commuter vehicle if travelling any distances with the family.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:30 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Where are the tether points? Keep in mind they are supposed to be mounted to the frame or at least to metal somewhere...?

Quick Reply: Cab child seat belt solution (your thoughts please)