Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on my harness install options

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't planning on drilling holes in the floor either. Truth be told, the holes aren't a huge problem for me, but I don't want to have it come back and bite me when I sell the car. Porsche buyers around the NW seem extremely picky sometimes.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case, I'm ok drilling the holes in the floor and the tunnel if that's what I need to do. The only reason I'm not sure that I'll do that in the tunnel is because I don't yet know what the clearance will be between the seat and the tunnel and what type of mounting there will allow me to still use the oem 3pt lap belt receiver. It is very tight and the seat is on sliders so it needs to be able to slide back and forth also.

In terms of worrying about what drilling in mounts for 6pt harnesses will do for resale value, my car has a history of DE'ing and is not a low mileage car (148K), so I don't think properly installed 6pt harnesses will hurt its value.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carefree,
I am running Corbeu Forza's, and the seat brackets that I have have an inner belt mount, so it is going to that.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carefree
With all of the knowledge on Rennlist, someone has to know the best way to do this install?
Well, many of us certainly know the "best way" to do it, and it involves: a roll bar, fixed back seats with some kind of halo protection, and drilling the proper holes in the unibody where necessary to mount a 6 point harness. Anything else is a compromise. And these days, even THAT is a compromise if you're not including a full face helmet with face shield, HANS, and HANS specific shoulder belts. (Anything else I left off, feel free to add to the discussion or correct me!) Next up are center nets in pretty much everything.

That said, On the rare, rare occasion my RSA hits the track, it's in as-delivered condition with the stock seats and factory 3 point belt.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And I should add, that's roll bar at a minimum. Start looking at cages with NASCAR side bars, and appropriate door crush panels.

Maybe Tom's car got all that done with Tony's spiffy cagework?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on my harness install options