Sponsored by:

Backup light switch adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Backup light switch adjustment?

So I just received my replacement backup light switch today and installed it tonight. Now the backup lights want to be on all the time. I checked the switch manually and it seems to work, so I think the "on" contacts are so close that even the "off" level on the plunger leaves them on. Is there any adjustment available in this system? If not, what the heck do I do?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I would check the wiring to the switch. You must be getting a short somewhere. If the two contacts are too close, you may want to put some insulation to keep the wires apart somehow.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ilko
I would check the wiring to the switch. You must be getting a short somewhere. If the two contacts are too close, you may want to put some insulation to keep the wires apart somehow.
I thought of that, but I don't think that's the problem because everything functions properly with a) the switch completely out of the transmission, and b) with the switch backed out a full turn & going in and out of reverse. I had to resolder both contacts because the wires were worn and I covered the exposed ends of the wire with shrink insulation.

I noticed that the gasket/washer on the new one is thinner than the one on the original switch, but I swapped and even put both on with the same effect.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

When I was replacing my switch I had the same problem with the contacts. I had to re-solder them as well. That's why I suggested the above advice. I wish I could help more, but unfortunately this is the limit of my knowledge in this area. You might want to to PM Geoffrey, he may be able to help you out.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

I did some minor fabrication to solve my problem on this. I bought a steel washer with the correct outer diameter and ground the inside out to fit around the switch. I put that and the OE ring on the switch and installed it. Now it works like a champ. Very few things are truly easy with these cars....

Quick Reply: Backup light switch adjustment?