Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C2 vs Mk1 GT3.......^^

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim - yes, I agree the omission of photos was poor. Let me see if I get an opportunity to resolve!

Dave - how about a few miles rather than months?

Box () - Well in some ways I was quite convinced in the beginning that I was keeping the 964, but over time it has become apparent that if I manage 4k miles a year in the GT3 I would be very lucky, and as I now have 3 cars it is getting to the point where when I want to drive the 964 the procedure is a) charge battery b) next day drive it (Luckily I have a Bosch battery so it can take it). Therefore something has to go, and I have decided for sure now that it will be the 964 - not because of this writeup more because the GF enjoys driving the GT3 more and I enjoy having something new to me around for a while....

MrFish - I wish you luck in finding a fun car for the stable, yes I have been in an RS4 and RS6 as well and they are pretty insane for a family car. Just oout of interest - why did you take a vicar to collect a takeaway??? Is he/she family or are you in the choir?

Ken - It is interesting how these cars get under our skins, but as I said several times I am comparing a completely non-standard 964 in this case. As I stated, the GT3 would convincingly beat a standard 964 or 993.....no question...in every department except looks perhaps

Thanks to everyone else for kind words, I hope it was at least a little useful. I think it was useful for me to have both cars for several months in order to make an informed choice as to which one to keep (or both).....and I am happy now to start the process!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 AM
The Russian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christer I didn't realise you bought a GT3, well done!!
Like Christer I sold my 964 C2, which was pretty much standard, and bought a GT3 Mk2.
I would tend to agree on most of the observations Christer made, I think the message here is they are both fantastic cars that will always bring a smile to your face. Both do the same job in two completely different ways.
Christer I surprised by the comment about the GT3 brakes, they should bite with very little peddle travel and generate lots of negative Gs. The stopping power is much better than the 964s. Do you need new pads?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by The Russian
Christer I didn't realise you bought a GT3, well done!!
Like Christer I sold my 964 C2, which was pretty much standard, and bought a GT3 Mk2.
I would tend to agree on most of the observations Christer made, I think the message here is they are both fantastic cars that will always bring a smile to your face. Both do the same job in two completely different ways.
Christer I surprised by the comment about the GT3 brakes, they should bite with very little peddle travel and generate lots of negative Gs. The stopping power is much better than the 964s. Do you need new pads?
Hey - long time no see as usual!

Yes, I came across a LHD Mk1 in December at a price I liked so had to go for it. I guess as you know it had been on my mind for a few months, so it was almost a sign.......(yeah, justification is great thing^^)

With regards to brakes, I think the car had new discs and pads about 7K miles ago and as far as I can see it has not been tracked - or at least not recently so I wouldn't think it is a problem. I will have it serviced in Aug/Sep so we will see. I think the point I was trying to make in my comparison was that it is not so much the ultimate power of the brakes, I am sure that the GT3 is superior to a 964 with RS brakes in terms of total performance, but in the case of my particular 964, the pedal is very fim with instant bite and excellent feel, and in the case of the GT3 the brakes are not anything but awesome but there is marginally more pedal travel and there is IMHO a slight lack of feel at least in contract to my particular 964 set up....so no problem with the brakes whatsoever and as stated it was the feel part that I rated the 964 higher on as both cars have been immune to brake fade or anythign else. As everything else in my comparison, the reason it was as close as it was is more due to a slight loss of 'organic feel' in the GT3, not outright ability. As also stated, even against a highly modifided 964 in terms of outright ability alone it would have been a 5 point difference, not 0.5 as it turned out - and against a standard 964 in terms of outright ability....forget it.... In terms of smile per mile though, then it would be very close but I guess you could say that about any car. I tried to make the comparison as relevant to the particular situation in hand, and explain why I may have adjusted the scoring slightly.

I actually just found some pics, so here they are - although they do not show both cars together.....this is a GT3 show...
Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
mrfish
3rd Gear

My wife enjoys attending church, so I go too once a month or so to support. Anyway, the vicar and his wife are the same age as me and my wife and shares interests so we talk about bicycles, cars, visit the theatre, drink beer and go for food sometimes. I was surprised too.

He's definitely interested in cars, but needs to avoid getting too interested as the church roof appeal would not go very far if diverted into german metal. Maybe I should suggest a 'youth programme' related to car restoration?

Any good sources for good cars? I have looked on Pistonheads and 911uk, but are there any I'm missing?
P.S. GT3 is lovely
Old 06-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Christer
Race Car

www.911virgin.com run by Henry Firman is usually somewhere also to look - Henry has a very 'no-nonsense' style so be preapred for him to be opinionated but in general he is known as very honest and will not just sell you whatever but will take an interest in knowing what you really want and coming with suggestions. Some don't like that he talks to you like a real person, some just like their salesmen to be an a**elicker.....I would suggest you have a look at the site and give him a call ii you can take the straight talk!

My 964 will be on pistonheads in the next few days, but it might be a little too 'full on' for you - especially if your better half will also be expecting to share and drive the car....
Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer

My 964 will be on pistonheads in the next few days, but it might be a little too 'full on' for you - especially if your better half will also be expecting to share and drive the car....
Sounds like a very GOOD reason for someone to buy it
Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Christer
Race Car

Actually, the car is onow on Pistonheads for sale...

But here are some recent pics:
Attached Images          
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
Actually, the car is onow on Pistonheads for sale...

But here are some recent pics:
That is one mean 964 C2. I wonder what you have thought about an RS America prepped like your C2?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The RSA and C2 prepped the same are the same, other than the $12K VIN number premium the RSA carries. No diff. otherwise, IMHO, other than when they left the showroom floor, and with those RSA's not equipped with sunroof.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Smile

What a great thread and having driven both cars quite a bit I couldn't agree more.
It is amazing that on the track with the Victorian chapter of the the Australian Porsche Club, at the end of the day, a good deal of the top ten times are posted by 964RS or modified 964 C2's.
I have a C2 with some limited but sensibly thought out mods.
It has koni's, HR Reds, 24mm adjustable swaybars, a cup muffler, DC21 cams, chip, cold air intake and a 100 Cell CAT. Output is around 225kw which I think is basically 300hp. My Uncle who has a 996GT3 was astonished when I blew past him at 200km/h up a slightly inclining straight at one of our local circuits.
Set up with full interior but with RS seats it's a comfy daily driver but is a very quick and fun little car.

It amazes me how sloppy a standard 964 feels but a few simple mods and they come alive and have amazing turn in. Best of all, I find my car so trustworthy and exhilerating to drive at the limit.

And after four years of ownership, I still smile everytiime I drive it.

My next mod which I believe is seriously limiting my lap times is to fit a Guard 60.40 LSD.

btw, the rims on your car are super tough! Nice

Quick Reply: 964 C2 vs Mk1 GT3.......^^