Sponsored by:

Retainer Clip down the breather cover - retrieval advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a lost resort, you can try pouring a bunch of oil into the breather hole and see if it washes out the drain hole.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There's another pic in Post #6
Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Another thought is to try Pelican's engine rebuilding forum. They may have some good ideas.Pelican Engine Rebuild Forum
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
carrera964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight I'm going to remove an oil return tube or two and see if I can find anything. I'm hoping I can get a magnet in there and hopefully pull out the offending part. If not, I imagine the engine comes out for a good shaking. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
CB Red 964
Advanced

I am trying to load a few pictures that I have from my rebuild. The pics confirms your comment - it is unlikely that a part that big will fall down past the oil pump into a location accessable from one of the oil return tube holes. It is probably still above the pump near the #3 rod?

Maybe you can try turning the motor over by hand slowly and listen. Maybe it will fall down further to the bottom.

Not sure if the pics are going through.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
carrera964
Track Day

I'm trying to locate a boroscope. I think I can buy one for about $400 from Northern Tool up in Statesville.

Thanks,

mk
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked ebay ?
Lots to chose from .
Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

You don't happen to hang out with any proctologists do you? They usually have a bore scope or two. Maybe you could borrow one if you promise to clean it up when you are done.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

check out home depot . i know they have a Rigid brand one but can't locate it on their website.
I think it was about $200.
Or you can try their rental department.
or http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95833
Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have 2 harbor freights nearby now. One in Charlotte and they just opened a new one in Kannapolis. You might give them a call and see if they have one in stock you could pick up. Good luck. Ritchie.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:01 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera964
....Maybe I could offset the cost of a rebuild if I started a pool to pinpoint exactly how long the engine would run, as is, until a catastrophic failure.
Most stray parts will eventually get into the chain and sprocket, and break something. I know one guy that took the chance rather than tear down the engine. Replacement parts for what broke after the engine jumped time cost over $12,000, and that was many years ago. Don't be tempted....

Sorry I don't have a magic trick, but the boroscope sounds like the way to go. If you can see it, you can retrieve it. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There's not a hell of a lot of room in a 911 crankcase, so its not like dropping a oil pump shaft into the oil pan of an old ford motor, I'd get it out. I'd even be careful about rotating the crank it could jamb into the crank or piston skirt and f things up good.

I once dropped a circlip down a head through the oil return into the case, thought I'd have to split a fresh rebuild, but rotating the motor on an engine stand you could hear it rattling around, just rotated the motor on the stand until it fell out the oil breather flange, so as crazy as it sounds, if you can flip it over you might just get it. But you would need to get it on a stand.

The boroscope is the best idea, you can rent them at the local machine shop. Go in through the breather or the drain plug, you can also pull the lower covers and go through the oil return tubes and not have to tear one off. (you could also try a retrieval magnet through the oil tubes)

Also it might be worth a trip the the shop or to identify the bracket, most brackets on the motor are cad plated steel, if it is ferrous, you can get a rare earth magnet, or a welding square magnet and "work" it towards the drain hole, the case is not that thick and won't affect the ablity for the magnet to "grab" the bracket.

anyway good luck,
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I just got a mailing yesterday from Northern Tool. They have a scope on sale for $189.

harbor freight also has a sub $200 scope.

I've been tempted to buy one of these in the past but could never quite justify it.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default boroscope

as far as boroscopes go if you buy one and it does not provide steering you might misss what you are trying to see in there. try google search and look under boroscope rental. you can rent a kick butt one for the same price that you will spend if you buy one but will have a 4 inch lcd screen with a navigatable flex tube and different lenses so you will have access to all areas.

i work in the aviation field and i know that if the boroscope is not up to snuff you wil have a hard time trying to see in there.

maybee if there is a small airport you can go and see if some one will do it for you.

you will have to lok at the case design but i do not think that it will get into the chain or spokets, might be wrong but i will have to look at the case.

if you can verify the the path of the case and find that the part cannot get in the chains, i would pull one set of plugs out so the engine turn freely and you have no compression and turn engine by hand very slowly and if its sitting on top of the rod or crank you will hear it hopefully fall to the bottom of the case.

then maybee get it thru the drian hole.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default chain and spocket

i stand corrected. there is an inner sprocket in the case for the one bank. sorry about that.

Quick Reply: Retainer Clip down the breather cover - retrieval advice needed