Sponsored by:

DME earthing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DME earthing problem?

I have recently had an alternator failure and around the same time had problems starting. The engine turns over strongly so I do not think it could be the starter/earthing connection.

I find that removing the DME relay and swapping it sometimes works but I now have three relays and the problem seems to occur with whichever one I use.

It only seems to happen with the first start of the day, presumably when it is colder.

The most noticable difference to when it will and won't start is the clicking of the resonance valve. No click - no start. Click and it starts. This leads me to assume it is an earthing issue.

I have cleaned all the electrical connections around the intake manifold. Still will not start.

I have lifted the fuse/ relay panel but the wiring is packed in there and looks a bit scary to start poking around with unless I have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions of why it is happening or where the relevant earthing connections may be?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to rule out the dme relay you can put some heavy jumper wires between the three large slots in the dme relay base. this will turn on your fuel pump. The wires will get very hot.

Suspiciously, it sounds like it may be a connection at the alternators, since that was the last thing touched.

Quick Reply: DME earthing problem?