Sponsored by:

LWF

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LWF

I need to do the clutch and am fairly sure that I will do the LWF. What I want to know from anyone that has it installed is, other than gearbox rattle at idle and the potential for stalling is there any other condition to be aware of that may affect street use? Please no off color responses, I am really looking for some assistance here. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No issues. Noise is minimal. Stalling is fixed via a chip.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your gear box will not rattle. Idle will do some hunting and at times if the A/C compressor cycles on at the time the idle is on the low swing of the hunting you might get a stall. Mine does not stall or rattle.

The only rattle I've heard is on cars with racing transmissions that have square cut gears.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, my LWF was installed last summer, as far as I am concerned I did not noticed a big difference, the engine does spin up a little quicker, no added transmission noise, and you have to be a little careful when pulling up to a stoplight, but other than that, no problems.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The racing transmissions don't have square cut gears. They rattle because of the solid transmission mounts and the design of the gearbox which allows the free gears to rattle inside the case.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car did gain a slight rattling sound at idle compared to my old dual mass flywheel, but the noise is minimal and if you aren't listening for it, it is easily tuned out. I usually don't notice it any longer.

I do experience some stalling once in a while with A/C on, but it is not frequent. Idle will fall and hunt some though (drop to 400 rpms and bounce back to 800). I just installed a new version of the Steve Wong chip that I'm hoping will address this but I haven't really had a chance to fully load test it yet on a warm day.

I would still do the LWF over again. A great upgrade if you track your car even occasionally. Makes it much easier to rev match for heel/toe. My BMW M Coupe still has a dual mass flywheel and I can't believe how sluggish it revs compared to my 911.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I didn't think I had one but turns out I do (grey car). PO said RS clutch installed but no LWF- wrong.
No stalling after remap and my car is too loud to notice any gearbox noise.

Just get one- conventional wisdom is its a no-brainer with only minor dissent.
That said you could be that minority.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines fine, revs quicker, smells a bit funny and makes a rubble noise at low revs (coffee grinder).
Mine has no chip and dosent stall.
If your doin the clutch you might as well do the fly.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another vote to do it too! A little bit more noise, but you have to really listen to hear it unless you're seriously lugging the engine. I suppose the LWF highlights if you're being a crap driver & in the wrong gear more than the DMF. Surely not a bad thing?!

I do wonder though that as it's easier to burn the clutch by accident with the speed the engine spools up, we'll all be getting less life out of the clutch... Loads of fun though being able to blip the throttle and it rev like a race car! eheh!

Will keep the same set-up next time I have to replace the clutch.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
I do wonder though that as it's easier to burn the clutch by accident with the speed the engine spools up, we'll all be getting less life out of the clutch... .
I worried about the same thing. I've heard from some guys that its easier to burn up the RS/LW clutch disc than the oem clutch if you aren't careful about revving it up too much. When mine was first installed, for the first week or two, I was revving it up too much while I was getting used to its much more aggressive release characteristics. During that time, I had a guy ride with me who has an RSA race car with LWF/clutch and he warned me that the disc will burn up if mistreated. He told me to practice releasing it at low rpms without stalling. I quickly got the knack of keeping the revs to 1500 or lower when releasing and now I can usually release the clutch at only 1000 rpms or even idle without stalling it if I am taking off on level ground. Its easy once you get the hang of it. You definitely don't want to spin the clutch while you are releasing it. Just dump the clutch quickly and get it fully engaged with as little spin/slip as possible. I really wince now if someone else drives my car and they rev it up when releasing the clutch...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Its brilliant, but tougher on the left leg!
No noise (or nice noise), quicker throttle blip, and response on the move, sweeter gear changes....
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I have it on my C2 and would never go back to the Dual Mass. When the turbo needs a clutch it's getting one too. IMO the improvement outweighs any down sides as minor as they are. The lethargic feeling the car has is gone and the ability to rev match is worth it, not to mention you can launch the car much easier.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
madmoog
Racer

I got mine with a LWT, so know no differant, but I like it

Occasionally stalls, and box a little noisey, but with no sound deadening and lightweight carpet, what else to expect
Old 04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
TR6
Drifting

As a side note, when the clutch gives out in my BMW M Coupe, I'm planning to go light weight with it. Now that my 911 is LW, the BMW feels so sluggish revving up. And the BMW is OBDII so shouldn't have any stalling issues! (or so I'm told....)
Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
1990-964
Pro

Well so far everything sounds good. Thanks for the input guys. It is scheduled for next Wednesday. I should have it back by next Saturday. Will drive the hell out of it and report back.

Quick Reply: LWF