Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
I hate to hear that they are going to try a US version. I can't think of Adam Carolla anywhere besides watching chicks on trampolines.
Hmm, funny you should say that

(those are some of his cars)
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

Agreed.
AC certainly talks a good game re all things-cars.
And refreshingly he doesn't hold undue parochialism against Porsches. He's also another whole kind of raconteur than JC. Kind of like May, if May were "amped up" a notch, or two.

...still...
would it be so terrible to find some trampoline chick(s) in every Porsche review? Huh? -- Would it?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ Slim
Ditto on awesome show. Particularly disturbing was the episode when they come across the pond to the Deep South and paint their $1,000 cars with "I hate NASCAR" and "I'm a queer," then practically get their butts kicked out of town. I mean, it looked like the lynch mob was forming as they were filming. As an American, it was both hilarious and maddening at the same time. We don't get that kind of television here.
Yeah I don't think they understand how much danger they were in. I agree a bit embarrassing if you are an American, but I am sure somewhere in the UK they have the equivalent of "red necks"

By the way what is "two tossers" .....I am guessing two wise A$$es? I need my British to English dictionary.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:55 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Seaflat
Yeah I don't think they understand how much danger they were in. I agree a bit embarrassing if you are an American,
Yeah.
Fun turned to disappointed on that one. Began thinking to myself, "cheap shots".

I don't know -- just figured every nation has its hot buttons that outsiders shouldn't tap dance on.

...sorry. As you can probably tell -- not my favorite TG eqisode.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Did you guys watch the US or British version of the show?

Because if you saw the US version, you missed about 15 minutes of the show including this among other things:

I didn't find the "American" episode offensive. Maybe having to edit 15 minutes (or 1/4 of the show) out of the US version made it seem that way. Some of the things were untrue, but it's all part of the over-the-top Brit humour that Jezza & Co. deliver.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like on Gilligan's Island.. Everyone secretly liked Maryann.... I think we're all a lot more like Captain Slow inside.

Have you seen his show .. .Our Century? Very good.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Ilko,
Where/How can I get a full download of that episode, in the full UK version?

One of the best shows on TV. And, my wife is defnitely NOT a Car Guy, but she loves the show.

The episode with the 3-wheeled car (name escapes me...) turned into a Space Shuttle was an absolutely astonishing achievement.

The photography and filming is outstanding.

The episode of the slow destruction of the 911 was a bit painful. There is a clip on youtube if you really want to put yourself through it.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Download them off the interwebs. You can go to www.finalgear.com and they have links to all the episodes. Rennlist member The Edge has (or had) a link to all the episodes in his signature.

Did you guys ever see the Winter Olympics special? Oh man! One of my all time favorites!!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It really is a great show. My wife does not share my interest in cars, but we did watch 3 hours of BBC America episodes last night on Tivo and she absolutely loves the show. Hey - anything that gives her reason to allow me to spend more on Porsches is okay with me...

The only annoying habit is that she has begun to call my older 911 a "beetle" per JC...

-Blake
Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
Did you guys watch the US or British version of the show?

Because if you saw the US version, you missed about 15 minutes of the show including this among other things:
I didn't find the "American" episode offensive. Maybe having to edit 15 minutes (or 1/4 of the show) out of the US version made it seem that way. Some of the things were untrue, but it's all part of the over-the-top Brit humour that Jezza & Co. deliver.
If you watch it on BBC american is that the US version I assume? I saw the cow but watched it on BBC America.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's the US version - it gives you only 3/4 of the show.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

"By the way what is "two tossers" ....." -

Tosser, the practitioner of tossing = to **********. More specifically, to "toss one off" etc..... you get the idea
Old 04-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich964rs
I've been on the waiting list for tickets for about 2.5 years now with not a whisper. If you are travelling from the US you might contact the show directly and beg for tickets for while you are in the UK.

There is a member of Porsche Club GB who I believe is/was a director on the show so he might be a good contact. I'm loathed to write his name here for fear of bombarding him with requests. But Seaflat if you PM me I'll dig out his name for you then you might be able to Google his contact details.
Thanks I will keep a backup of this thread. I am still a bit away from coming (I have a promise to my 9 year old that we are going to Disney world first). I am dying to come over and see the sights. I hope to rent a car and take some nice drives.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:19 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best one is the crossin ov the channel.
Well funny!!!
A hilux can go any where.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Top Gear is no doubt the best show on TV. I like Jeremy Clarkson, some of the things he says are really entertaining. I heard in the US version Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfield would host. Which would be a pretty good lineup for us, but we will have to see. You can not replicate Top Gear.

Quick Reply: Top Gear