Sponsored by:

Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Seaflat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear

Anybody else here love this show? I wonder if they are taking applications?

I am trying to plan a trip to London in the next year it would be great to check out a show. Any you guys in the UK ever been?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Smile

Yeah, I was worried for the Hampster a couple years ago when he smacked his head. Good to see him on the mends.
(He & 'Slow (May) are needed foils to Clarkson, IMHO. Don't know that I'd like the show with full-on, unchecked JC.)

I go Here (time 05:30) when I need my jones fed...
Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just watched the one in which JC makes over the interior of a Mercedes S class with hardwood floors. wing-back chairs, and a wood stove. Priceless!

Marc
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I just watched the one in which JC makes over the interior of a Mercedes S class with hardwood floors. wing-back chairs, and a wood stove. Priceless!

Marc
That's a good one, for sure. They are hilarious, but put on a good car show at the same time. My 7 year old daughter loves to watch them.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 AM
jox
Advanced

Brilliant, brilliant television. One of the funniest things I have ever watched on TV was their camping trip.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seaflat

I am trying to plan a trip to London in the next year it would be great to check out a show. Any you guys in the UK ever been?
It is a great programme (as we call them in the UK) and the tickets are free (good old BBC). Unfortunately everybody else thinks so, so there's a 1-2 year waiting list, so you'd need to express an interest ASAP. See here:

http://www.applausestore.com/applaus...tail.php?id=15
Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Seaflat

This link gives details of how to get on the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/

good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Which presenter do you guys liken yourselves to/empathise with most? I am afraid to say that I am a bit of Captain Slow The Hamster can be irritatingly chipper and JC, whilst funny, is just too over bearing at times. A good episode was JC interviewing Simon Cowell; two tossers giving each other a hard time
Old 04-04-2008, 06:30 AM
RSGulp
Racer

I've been on the waiting list for tickets for about 2.5 years now with not a whisper. If you are travelling from the US you might contact the show directly and beg for tickets for while you are in the UK.

There is a member of Porsche Club GB who I believe is/was a director on the show so he might be a good contact. I'm loathed to write his name here for fear of bombarding him with requests. But Seaflat if you PM me I'll dig out his name for you then you might be able to Google his contact details.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

You guys over the pond should watch out for a recent charity special called 'Top gear does Ground Force'.

The TG team secretly do a make over of the garden of a well known British Sportsman (Steve Redgrave). Diggers, bigger diggers, knocking things down, a jet engine powered bbq, shot guns and much, much more .

Not strictly a motoring show but still
Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

TG is great. I have EVERY episode on my computer and watch the show on my iPhone on the train on my way to work. I LOL so much people think I'm nuts. I really like the easter eggs in that show such as this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=11

BTW, there is a US version coming up this year, with Adam Carolla hosting. Should be fun!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You guys over the pond should watch out for a recent charity special called 'Top gear does Ground Force'.

The TG team secretly do a make over of the garden of a well known British Sportsman (Steve Redgrave). Diggers, bigger diggers, knocking things down, a jet engine powered bbq, shot guns and much, much more .

Not strictly a motoring show but still
I saw that! They completely destroyed the guy's yard! I don't even think of TG as a car show anymore, I see it as a comedy show that features cars. "How hard could it be?"
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

Ditto on awesome show. Particularly disturbing was the episode when they come across the pond to the Deep South and paint their $1,000 cars with "I hate NASCAR" and "I'm a queer," then practically get their butts kicked out of town. I mean, it looked like the lynch mob was forming as they were filming. As an American, it was both hilarious and maddening at the same time. We don't get that kind of television here.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by meek
Which presenter do you guys liken yourselves to/empathise with most? I am afraid to say that I am a bit of Captain Slow
me, too, Meek.

<---- Cap'n 'SSSloooow (but bemused, preverse pride in that, nonetheless!)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Top Gear is the only car related show that my wife will watch, but probably the best program on television.

I hate to hear that they are going to try a US version. I can't think of Adam Carolla anywhere besides watching chicks on trampolines.

Quick Reply: Top Gear