Sponsored by:

HID lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HID lights

Just seen HID headlamp convesion on flea-bay for £100.
Has any one fitted a HID kit to there 964?
Does this kit make an improvment? (cant be worse than my candles)
IMO the headlamps on a 964 r terrible. Currently ive got 100w bulbs in, but there not outstanding (unlike my old audi s4 xenons) so any improvment is wot iam after.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 419 Posts

I agree, the OEM headlights are terrible. I wanted to install HIDs but projectors are not available for the 964. If you install HIDs in buckets without projectors, it will spray the light all over the place without a controlled beam pattern. Some people swear it doesn't blind oncoming traffic but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on HIDs and have to aim them so low to avoid blinding others. Overall, I don't think they are safe to use if not used with projector headlights.

I ended up installing Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, which are an overall brighter halogen bulb and they are a tremendous improvement over stock bulbs. They cost about $20-25/ea, but totally worth it IMO. I recommend the same. And it's legal too.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

HID bulbs are not made for halogen reflector headlights. You fool yourself if you think they are better. They give YOU more glare as well as the oncoming traffic.

You say you have 100W bulbs in your headlights currently. Have you relayed them? If not, they are not producing 100W, they're more like 60W with the 18 gauge wires you have in there. Upgrade your wiring and the 100W bulbs will be MORE than sufficient.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:38 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
HID bulbs are not made for halogen reflector headlights. You fool yourself if you think they are better. They give YOU more glare as well as the oncoming traffic.

You say you have 100W bulbs in your headlights currently. Have you relayed them? If not, they are not producing 100W, they're more like 60W with the 18 gauge wires you have in there. Upgrade your wiring and the 100W bulbs will be MORE than sufficient.
I disagree, IanS has HID's in his, mine are standard, I can see better and further with his, even sitting side by side.
I've also put them in my old Audi, and they are miles better, yes you do have to be careful over alignment, but when done there are no issues, I've passed three MOT's so not a problem there either, and if you are worried, you can always exercise your little finger and lower them from the comfort of your seat.

Kevin
Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had HID's in my turbo for nearly 2 years. They were great, BUT I had some electrical gremlins (eg. rev counter intermittent). I went back to standard, the light is poor again but the electrics are fine. I suppose the lesson is make sure you buy a proven kit and installed by someone who knows them. Definitely HID's bring you into the 21st century though.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have HID's in my headlights and my driving lights and I would never go back to H4's. Badly adjusted headlights will blind people and it does not matter if they are HID's or not. If it was true maybe we should go back to sealed beams or did'nt they once have kerosene headlights.

Last edited by Twood; 12-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't put in HID's but installed some PIAA H4 bulbs which are much whiter and brighter than original, but I think the biggest improvement came from disassembling the headlight glass/reflector units and polishing the insides real well.
The dirty reflectors and hazy glass seemed to the biggest culpret for making the lights look old and dim.
Much happier now.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Twood, them vents with lights look quality.
Where did you get em?
I dont know bout the HID lights, i need better headlamps but dont wont to blow money on cr#p.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
I disagree, IanS has HID's in his, mine are standard, I can see better and further with his, even sitting side by side.
I've also put them in my old Audi, and they are miles better, yes you do have to be careful over alignment, but when done there are no issues, I've passed three MOT's so not a problem there either, and if you are worried, you can always exercise your little finger and lower them from the comfort of your seat.

Kevin
Check this out, for your edification

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Originally Posted by article in the link above
When designing the optics (lens and/or reflector) for a lamp, the characteristics of the light source are the driving factor around which everything else must be engineered. If you go and change the light source, you've done the equivalent of putting on somebody else's eyeglasses: You can probably make them fit on your face OK, but you won't see properly.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 ^^^
Daniel Stern has relay kits so you can up-rate your bulbs in standard H5 or H4 configurations.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:53 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Well, I think he needs an education for a start......An expert calling them bulbs? I mean. What would he plant in his garden.

The video mentions "could" many "manufacturers" and tries to label all as wrong, wheras if you listen carfully it does not state ALL are unsafe. It also mentions cuttoff, whereas the Daniel stern piece says a sharp cutoff is not necessarily a good thing. ( I like a bit of confliction from experts)

I note that Mr Stern only sells Halogen lighting, vested self interest one might conclude........
Lots of DOT talk, mainly from the USA I note. only the vid mentions the UK< and there it is very much a grey area, where legislation is trying to catch up to innovation.
I see the technical reason for failure, though in the 3 years I've had mine fitted, I have been flashed your honour; about half a dozen times.......and I'd rather it were me behind someone, than a bloody range rover whose lights are 15ft ftom the ground......

I appreciate the smiley, but shouldn't caveat emptor be running the rounds? technically

Kevin

Last edited by warmfuzzies; 04-05-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: felt like it
Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Originally Posted by ilko
Have you relayed them? If not, they are not producing 100W, they're more like 60W with the 18 gauge wires you have in there. Upgrade your wiring and the 100W bulbs will be MORE than sufficient.
100w for the UK on the road is illegal, only 55/60 for H4 if memory serves, ehnce the desire to get a better light output.

k.

and yes, i'm in a splendid mood, and no, I'm not picking on you...just having fun....

Quick Reply: HID lights