Sponsored by:

Autocross Set-UP ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I wish I knew - I will try and see if I can read some info on the springs tonight - I got them from a chap in GB who changed to something else / so are not real stiff, more along the RS line.
I have Quaife LSD - that is why I reduced my rear tire size to 245 / 17 - I am still getting a lot of bite - Am really just learning that I have got to slow down a little more and then get the car pointed in the right direction just before I hit the pedal. Traction is good, so much so on hard cornering I am pulling the inside front wheel up off the ground - Have looked at some 235 / 17 tires - but when I matched the actual measurements against the Hoosier 225 they were the same - I am thinking of trying an 8 inch front rim to see if that help a little more / trying to get a flatter tire surface.
Gus,
Depending on the surface and size of the location can make a lot of difference. I will always have an issue with entering a turn too hot in AX just my nature I guess. We use a large lot at Giants stadium in NJ and it is usually a long technical course consuming between 55 and 65 sec turning back and forth on itself. You might want to look into your spring rates if your lifting your tire. You might also want to see what locking setup the Quaife is at. I used to AX my turbo and it makes the worlds worst AX car, the 100% lockup on decel always kept the car from turning.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Worlds worst AX....I would disagree ;-)

http://www.pnwr.org/Track/autocross/...WRTotal.asp#P3

The only events I lost in P3 were due to rain...as I'm to cheap to buy rain hoosiers and too lazy to carry them around. Out of ~100 cars the Turbo would often times place in the top 5 (in the dry). Car setup and entry speed/orientation has a big influence on turn in. I would say my biggest gripe on the 964T is not being able to get enough tire in the back relative to the amount of tire in the front and the power at the wheels.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Jeff - I run my Hoosier A6 in the wet and am very impressed with the traction that I get - short of a flooded area the tires stick really well - I pull a little trailer behind my P car with my A6 on and change them at the track - trailer carries jack, tools and air. Question - you say " my biggest gripe on the 964T is not being able to get enough tire in the back relative to the amount of tire in the front and the power at the wheels" Mine would be just the opposite - not enoughh tire in the front relative to the amount of traction I get in the rear -
I run a P10 - looks like your area combines several groups into one class to get more cars in the class-
When I run with the PCA I am about the same usually the only P car to turn faster is a highly modified/ light weight race car - BUT - when I run with SCCA I get run over by the new "Vette's" usually a full second or more behind. missing too much HP.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff91C2T
Worlds worst AX....I would disagree ;-)

http://www.pnwr.org/Track/autocross/...WRTotal.asp#P3

The only events I lost in P3 were due to rain...as I'm to cheap to buy rain hoosiers and too lazy to carry them around. Out of ~100 cars the Turbo would often times place in the top 5 (in the dry). Car setup and entry speed/orientation has a big influence on turn in. I would say my biggest gripe on the 964T is not being able to get enough tire in the back relative to the amount of tire in the front and the power at the wheels.
Not sure how your system reads compared to ours. But there is no way to get the turbo to turn in with the 20/100 LSD. I am far faster in my C2 with 40/40 LSD. Once you decel the rear end locks up and all the car does is push. with the short straights we have at our events you can't get on the brakes fast enough to get back on the gas to unlock the LSD without loosing all boost. I far prefer a N/A car for AX unless you have long straights and runs without highly technical courses.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Default Turn in and trailer

Hi Gus....yes, the hoosiers are pretty darn good. Even in damp conditions. In the Northwest when there's standing water the tire of choice are the hoosier rains. Pretty darn impressive. If you don't have them your are out of the running. You mentioned a trailer....do you tow this with your 964? I'd be very interested in how you have your hitch setup. I saw this on the road and thought it's a good way to go.

Hey Anthony...keep working at it, good turn in is very possible with these cars!
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Jeff - yes agree with you on the Hoosiers -I had to make my own trailer hitch for the 964 as none is offered - I bought a very small utility trailer from Northern - bed is roughly 4 x 4 ft - I have to center the tires to keep a minimum tongue weight though - this gives me room for my jack on the back and tools and air tanks on the front - Everything on the hitch has to be custom made except the ball. One key piece to the install is having the by pass pipe across the back - this gives yo the extra room needed to install the drop braces from each of the rear bumper shock bolts on the inside behind the engine. There are only two allen head bolts (10MM) I made a tang that I welded a drop bar to ( 1 inch box tube) about 8 inch long they both run in at a little angel towards the center of the car then I welded another section of 1 inch box tube to across these two down tubes. This is the main cross piece that the trailer hitch slides into - To do this I made a special box unit to slide the hitch into that I welded on at a small angel pointing down - the hitch has a small angel bend in it to go up into the box. Is held in place with a normal trailer hitch pin. When the trailer hitch is out of the box unit you can only just see the small box unit under the middle of the car. Look at my car pick in the left block on the site and you will see a little box directly under the car centered in the middle of the license plate right under the rear bumper. Will not hold much weight - but I have used it to bring home some dry wall and ply wood - should have seen the looks I got at Home Depot when I was loading up. I you need more detail or want a drawing of what I did let me know - I amy be able to get some pics also. The trailer pulls real nice and certain makes going to events a lot easier.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Default trailer

Very cool Gus...I would be intersted in pics! This sounds a lot better then what I'm doing now;
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Hey Anthony...keep working at it, good turn in is very possible with these cars!
Always am. Although the turbo is retired from AX and the C2 is now my dedicated track AX car. I am much faster in the C2 for our courses although we do an event at Pocono every year using the east course and the turbo is a far better AX car at that event because we have longer straights and sweeping turns ans slaloms. Otherwise on the short straights and tight turns of our normal events I find the C2 to be much easier to be fast in. I usually do well and although several seconds behind FTD my car doesn't weigh 1900 pounds with 300 hp motor tube frame and full racing suspension with Hossiers so I am not unhappy with my results.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2008, 11:52 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Default Pocono auto xf

Very cool Anthony! I wish I had a NA car to play with as well. I've had my 965 since 2000 and over the years have tried a hand full of different setups. It's about maxed out right now (rule wise for our region) and now it's all up to the driver. Looking back the most noticable improvements were when I changed spring rates and the racing seat.

When is the event at Pocono? I'm relocating to the east coast shortly (DC area). That might be worth the trip!
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Jeff - Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - I am attaching some pictures of my trailer and set up -(this is what took so long) The small trailer hitch that I made is bolted to the to allen bolts that hold the rear bumper on just behind the engine cross pipe - on each side about 3 ft apart - I welded to tangs on to a 8 inch piece of 1 inch box and brought those down at an angel then I welded a 1 inch box across the bottom between the two drop bars - then I welded a box receiver for the trailer hitch itself. The only part that was not custom made was the ball and the pin used for the hitch. NOTE the trailer tongue weight is under 100 lbs - but pull nice and I have had no trouble. I bought the trailer as a kit - for about $ 150 from Northern Tools store it is basically a 4 x 4 ft frame that you have to add the ply wood to. I centered the tires over the trailer axle - placed my jack on the back and my air tank on the front. made a little under tray for chairs. Hold all in place with bungees and tie down strapping for the tires. The one picture from directly under the car makes looking at the attachment point kind of hard to figure out - but look at tit and try to visualize what you are looking at on your car - I don't think this would fir in place if you had the primary muffler fitted on the car - I have the by-pass pipe. Let me know if you need more detail - I could probably make another one up (better) the second time around.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
airiscool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 965 since 2000 and over the years have tried a hand full of different setups. It's about maxed out right now (rule wise for our region) and now it's all up to the driver. Looking back the most noticable improvements were when I changed spring rates and the racing seat.
Wonderful machine that you have Jeff. Will you let us in on your current set up?

Quick Reply: Autocross Set-UP ??