Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro RS ride height with Bilstein HD/H&R Green ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:14 PM
blueboxster393
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro RS ride height with Bilstein HD/H&R Green ?

I have done some search on the list but still confused...

Some say Bilstein HD is ride height adjustable but others say it is for corner-balance adjustment and not for ride-height.

Anyone using Bilstein HD/ H&R Green with Euro RS ride-height (or close to) ?

Bilstein part#
F4-B46-1735-H0
F4-V36-0385-H0

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The basic modification to the ride height is achieved by the springs, not the damper. The H&R Green set reduce the ride height by some 40mm compared to the standard Euro springs - maybe a little more when compared to the US springs. The adjustment on the Bilsteins moves the bottom spring perch over a distance of some 30mm or more primarlily for corner balance adjustments. The actual change in ride height that is achieved will be a combination of the reduced spring length and the chosen perch height adjusted on the damper strut.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-29-2008, 03:13 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I am riding RS+5mm, although it doesn't always look that way, I have pictures of my car everywhere, just do a search it'll come up somewhere...

Kevin
Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is set at RS + 15m/m ride height. It has Bilstein HD with H&R Green springs. I find this set up an excellent compromise between street and track use. I did try the full RS set up at first, but found it too low, and also the front end was very nervous.

Steen
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Looks good, Steen
Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Ilko, those pictures are from last fall, I will post some after I get all the parts installed.

Steen
Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I am running H&R greens with Bilsteins @ ROW RS ride height. Computamedic's description above is spot on. The springs get you low, then the dampers allow you to tweak exactly how low and also to balance the ride.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
blueboxster393
Intermediate

Default more questions...

Firstly, thank you all of you for your help.

The Bilstein H&R system has been installed on my 90 targa last night.
It is on the hoist waiting for the arrival of a set of 17" rims in a couple of days.
Since the wheels are removed and the bottom perches are easily accessible maybe I can do some pre-adjustment of the ride-height.

Can someone briefly explain the steps to adjust the ride height ?

And a concept needs to be clarified...Is the higher the bottom perch setting (closer to the top of the damper), the lower the ride height ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The garage owner keeps saying those are not coil-over like PSS9 and therefore non-adjustable for ride-height.

I will printout this thread for him
Old 03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blueboxster393
Firstly, thank you all of you for your help.

The Bilstein H&R system has been installed on my 90 targa last night.
It is on the hoist waiting for the arrival of a set of 17" rims in a couple of days.
Since the wheels are removed and the bottom perches are easily accessible maybe I can do some pre-adjustment of the ride-height.

Can someone briefly explain the steps to adjust the ride height ?

edit--> this part is wrong. see below --> And a concept needs to be clarified...Is the higher the bottom perch setting (closer to the top of the damper), the lower the ride height ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The garage owner keeps saying those are not coil-over like PSS9 and therefore non-adjustable for ride-height.

I will printout this thread for him
Your wrench turner is part right. The Bilsteins don't have as much adjustment as the PSS9s.

On your clarification wrt perch and ride height: the more you pre-load the springs, the lower the ride height. So if you make the bottom perch higher, then your ride height will be lower. I'll try to shoot some pics of mine so you can see how they are set up. I am running 17" rims so your settings should be close to mine.

Now to go find the camera. hmm...

Last edited by MisterRisky; 03-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
On your clarification wrt perch and ride height: the more you pre-load the springs, the lower the ride height. So if you make the bottom perch higher, then your ride height will be lower.
Are you sure about that???

Dave
Old 03-30-2008, 03:32 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

OK, here are some shots of the car and the perches. The perch picture is for one of the left rear ones. I tried to shoot pics of the front ones but they were just obscured and blurry.
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2008, 03:34 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
Are you sure about that???

Dave
Nope. My brain was on backward. It's the other way around. Raising the perch lifts the car. Damn. I'm dumb on sundays.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
Nope. My brain was on backward. It's the other way around. Raising the perch lifts the car. Damn. I'm dumb on sundays.
D'you know, when I read that I began to write a reply - and then I had to think really hard before I chickened out and merely questioned your explanation. I just wasn't sure myself until I played out the movements of the suspension in my mind!!!

The top of the spring sits in the perch attached to the top of the damper so nothing is going to affect the settled length of the spring once the weight of the car rests on it. The only thing that WILL affect the settled ride height is where that bottom perch sits - the lower the perch, the lower the car.

The corner balance is achieved by adjusting the proportion of the car's weight which settles on each corner. If the ride height is raised on one corner it will cause a proportionate increase in the weight on the remaining corners, if it's lowered the remaining corners will become lighter. It's all trial and error.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
D'you know, when I read that I began to write a reply - and then I had to think really hard before I chickened out and merely questioned your explanation. I just wasn't sure myself until I played out the movements of the suspension in my mind!!!
Dave, you were very gracious. I, too, always build mental models in my head of how things work. My mental model was totally wrong and I realized that as soon as you questioned it.

When questioning people I try to be inquisitive, like you. When I was younger and cockier I used to say things like, "I'm not asking, I'm telling." I've been wrong enough now that I like to ask questions.

FWIW, I didn't get my car corner balanced. I just got the ride height adjusted so that it is even. I decided that getting it corner balanced was probably over kill for my daily driver.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
blueboxster393
Intermediate

Thankyou Dave and MisterRisky for the clarification.

Especially to you ,MisterRisky, Thanks for the pics.
I like the look of yours and the ride height is perfect for me.
Since we both have the Targa (same weight), I will use your photos as a reference, magnify it and count the threads. Then adjust mine accordingly. I am not going to do corner-balancing cos it is costly and it is not a track car.

I would really appreciate if you can take a picture of the front damper bottom perch area again.

I don't have the Bilstein perch wrench, what others tool can I use to adjust the perches. Are they hard to turn even when the car is on hoist ?

Thanks a lot

Barnie

Quick Reply: Euro RS ride height with Bilstein HD/H&R Green ?