Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro RS ride height with Bilstein HD/H&R Green ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't tell anyone, but I used a big *** pair of channel locks on mine. Don't let them slip. Its much easier without weight on the springs. Um... plus I can't imagine how you would get to the shocks without it jacked up and the wheels off.

I'll try to get a better picture on the front, but it's tough. Let me see if I can turn the wheels and get a better angle.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I turned the wheel and used the macro setting... much better. This is the font left.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Take this for what it is worth but the RS sits 50mm lower than the US C2/C4. The most you can lower a C2 with Bilstein H/D's and H&R greens or reds is 40mm so you can't achieve RS ride height with this setup. If your running Eibach springs the height is even less. closer to 30mm drop max. The pics I see look to be no where near RS height more like 30mm lower than stock. If you have any threads left you aren't at 40mm lowered and odds are your not properly corner balanced if you all the way down on the threads.

BTW the H&R greens are way to soft to run at full drop. you will bottom out the car on heavy bumps.

BTW I have a set of H&R greens with 5k miles on them for sale if anyone is interested PM me US shipping only.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anthony,

The reduction of ride height offered by the H&R Greens is relative to the Euro ride height. Since the US cars have longer springs than the Euro cars - hence a higher ride height - fitting the Green springs to a US car should have the same end result as on a Euro car. Achieving RS ride height is not simple though due to the geometry of the sway bar and it's drop links. RS drop links need to be fitted for it all to work well.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
Anthony,

The reduction of ride height offered by the H&R Greens is relative to the Euro ride height. Since the US cars have longer springs than the Euro cars - hence a higher ride height - fitting the Green springs to a US car should have the same end result as on a Euro car. Achieving RS ride height is not simple though due to the geometry of the sway bar and it's drop links. RS drop links need to be fitted for it all to work well.

Regards

Dave
Dave

Well I would be curious on how it is achieved with these components. I have custom (longer) drop links and RS bars with H&R reds bilstein HD's and 3 top shops locally said they can drop it 40mm but not 50. I know my car is about as low as we can get it and we are at 40mm from US spec. There are a few threads left but if we use it we cannot corner balance the car properly, and it isn't quite enough to cover the extra .394" needed to get it down to RS spec.

Don't forget the Factory RS struts are much shorter in shaft length and custom valved to work with the shorter shaft and spring length. They also have threads lower on the body than the HD's.

If you know a secret I am all ears.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

My shop told me it was ROW RS ride height. Upon reading what is written above, I suspect I am actually at RS + 10mm (or more?) (i.e. 40mm drop). At some point I will wallow around on the ground and see if I can get a measurement and validate my suspicions. I'll probably shoot video of that process as I always felt I was misinterpreting the previous posted pictures. It's probably a worthwhile exercise.

This may explain why I don't have the bad bump steer that some have told me I should have if lowered to an RS spec.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Anthony,

I agree with all that you say. My only query was the drop achieved with the Green springs. The ride height is determined by the length of the strut and the length of the spring. Given that the US cars use the same struts as the ROW cars - and the Bilstein parts are the same - it can only be the spring which is the determining factor so there should be no difference in what can be achieved. I agree, though, that RS ride height is NOT easily achievable, if at all, with the HD/Green combination.

My own car is set to 132mm (front) and 231mm (rear) which is roughly 7-8mm higher than Euro RS (measured to the standard suspension measuring point). I have at least 10-12mm of adjustment left on the front although I shared your reluctance to use it - particularly with the drop link issue. Beyond that, no secrets to tell I'm afraid.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony,

I agree with all that you say. My only query was the drop achieved with the Green springs. The ride height is determined by the length of the strut and the length of the spring. Given that the US cars use the same struts as the ROW cars - and the Bilstein parts are the same - it can only be the spring which is the determining factor so there should be no difference in what can be achieved. I agree, though, that RS ride height is NOT easily achievable, if at all, with the HD/Green combination.

My own car is set to 132mm (front) and 231mm (rear) which is roughly 7-8mm higher than Euro RS (measured to the standard suspension measuring point). I have at least 10-12mm of adjustment left on the front although I shared your reluctance to use it - particularly with the drop link issue. Beyond that, no secrets to tell I'm afraid.

Regards

Dave
I just want to corroborate with you that RS spec is 125 front 218 rear, same as 1992 turbo S.

I am not far from your numbers and it is low enough for our roads. Although for track it could be a little lower.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys,
can you elaborate on the need for RS drop links?
I just finshed installing Bilstein HD with H&R red springs and plan to lower the car max with still adjustment for corner balancing.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
I just want to corroborate with you that RS spec is 125 front 218 rear, same as 1992 turbo S.
Anthony,

I was basing my comments on Marc Shaw's table in this recent thread.

The issue with RS drop links is that with the standard car lowered to RS levels, the standard drop links are forced to an angle which renders them ineffectual (so I am told). The RS drop links are, I believe, shorter and restore the geometry of the sway bar. I will admit to having no experience of this as I merely made the decision based on advice. In the end it was academic since the RS drop links will not fit a C4 anyway - they foul the front drive shafts.

Dave
Old 03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony,

I was basing my comments on Marc Shaw's table in this recent thread.

The issue with RS drop links is that with the standard car lowered to RS levels, the standard drop links are forced to an angle which renders them ineffectual (so I am told). The RS drop links are, I believe, shorter and restore the geometry of the sway bar. I will admit to having no experience of this as I merely made the decision based on advice. In the end it was academic since the RS drop links will not fit a C4 anyway - they foul the front drive shafts.

Dave
Front RS drop links are shorter the rear are longer. You need the longer ones in the rear otherwise the angle is wrong and the adjustable bar will cut into the rear control arm casting.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
blueboxster393
Intermediate

Thankyou all of you.

After reading the postings, I don't think I want exact Euro RS ride height due to many design differences between regular 964 and RS.
I will just setup the ride height same as MisterRisky for now and see how it goes.

Once again, thankyou MisterRisky for taking the pictures and the rest of you for the info.

Imagine life without this forum
Old 04-03-2008, 11:56 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Glad I could help. Not sure I cleared up much other than show you how mine is set up. I am happy with how mine handles and rides.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of a tool to adjust the perches?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
941MXVET
Pro

I'd like to thank blueboxster, and all the respondants for this thread. Up-grading my suspention, and going a bit lower, (40mm would be fine) is definanitly on my short list of things to mod. This thread cleared up so many concepts this particular owner.

Quick Reply: Euro RS ride height with Bilstein HD/H&R Green ?