Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Belt tension???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Fan Belt tension???

Guys i just replaced my alternator and put the V-belt back on then tightened down the strap that holds the fan unit on. The Fan belt seems pretty tight. Which has me a little worried. I put the pullies back on exactly as they came off with the spacers in the correct places. Will the belt stretch out a little how do i know if its too tight or too loose??

Thanks
JERRY
Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry

Kinda difficult to describe how tight a belt should be, but if you grab it with your fingers and move it back and forth you should be able to move it about a 1/2" either side of where it sits naturally. Better to be a little loose and not put too much stress on the bearings than too tight. If you hear it slipping tighten it up a shim at a time.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There's a belt tensioning tool called a Krikit that you can get at AutoZone. See this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=belt
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A bit more info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=krikit
Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't use the old set up for a new set up .
You have got to move the shims around to set up the tension .

"Will the belt stretch out a little"
If its a brand new belt , yes .
If not then no .

" how do i know if its too tight or too loose??"
Set it up to loose and it will squeal .
If it squeals , tighten it up till it no longer squeals .

Last edited by Indycam; 04-05-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam

" how do i know if its too tight or too loose??"
Set it up to loose and it will squeal .
If it squeals , tighten it up till it no longer squeals .
I used the tension tool but ultimately I came back to what Indy says above. If you think it might be too tight, take it apart and move a shim into the middle of the pulley. If that position causes squealing or obvious slippage then move the shim back. If not, you are ok.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The factory manual says to use the Porsche tool to measure tension. However, the shim adjustments are pretty coarse. Here is a non-tool method that has worked on my 964 and every previous 911. This will get you to the correct number of shims:

Try turning the crank using a wrench on the alternater pulley nut. If the belt slips easily, it is too loose. If it won't slip, that could be too tight. If you change one shim after finding it too loose, and then it turns the crank, you are dead-on. The belt will settle in, and you know you are not tight enough to damage the alternator. If you can turn the crank with just a little thumb pressure on the slack side of the belt, that is still OK.

Any hint of belt squeal when the engine is running means you are too loose and could damage the belt. Check again after a few drives. I have never needed to make a 2 nd adjustment. Belts have a steel backbone and don't stretch much. The rubber faces can wear and let the belt ride lower in the pulleys.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Boeing 717

Thanks Guys........

JERRY
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by springer3
The factory manual says to use the Porsche tool to measure tension. However, the shim adjustments are pretty coarse. Here is a non-tool method that has worked on my 964 and every previous 911. This will get you to the correct number of shims:

Try turning the crank using a wrench on the alternater pulley nut. If the belt slips easily, it is too loose. If it won't slip, that could be too tight. If you change one shim after finding it too loose, and then it turns the crank, you are dead-on. The belt will settle in, and you know you are not tight enough to damage the alternator. If you can turn the crank with just a little thumb pressure on the slack side of the belt, that is still OK.

Any hint of belt squeal when the engine is running means you are too loose and could damage the belt. Check again after a few drives. I have never needed to make a 2 nd adjustment. Belts have a steel backbone and don't stretch much. The rubber faces can wear and let the belt ride lower in the pulleys.
Springer is right on. The coarseness of the adjustment (shims) means that tweaking with the belt tension tool is really not necessary. Springer does a good job summing it up.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
Springer is right on. The coarseness of the adjustment (shims) means that tweaking with the belt tension tool is really not necessary. Springer does a good job summing it up.
Yes!!!! as always, Springer has helped me alot............I put another shim in and it seems to be pretty good now well see after its running but i think its good.

Thanks guys for your help

JERRY
Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

By the way, NAPA no longer carries Gates products. Gates makes their belts, but the tool is no longer available from them. CarQuest sells Gates, they had the Gates Krikit #91107 tension tool in stock. $12.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:33 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default belt tension

was up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those that recommended the Krikit tool are right on. it cost 10 dallars or so and works like a charm. no trees needed
Old 05-09-2017, 01:41 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I give up - What are the belt tensions supposed to be?

OK after hours of research on belts, updated pulleys, RS single pulley systems, Clewette serpentine system and actual $15 belt tension gauge the ONLY question that I can not find an answer to on this site is.....

What are the factory recommended tension numbers for all three belts?

I know which tension gauge to get and I know how to use it after watching a video but dang it, no one actually lists the numbers that each belt is supposed to be tightened to.

TIA
Old 05-09-2017, 02:07 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on used or new. You should look at the TSB below for detailed adjustment procedures.

1378_1994_611094 geolab V-Belt Tension Tester
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Bless you kind Sir.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Fan Belt tension???