Sponsored by:

Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
t-shark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition

Excuse me my english, Im not used to talk the technical English. I 'll try to explain but don't know the correct terms for certain parts.
Just went to see my mechanic who is restoring my Targa. There was a major oil leak, apparently it went everywhere resulting in a thick covering of the engine part and defective cooling.
He is changing all the joints and will open the cilinders after cleaning the engine so no dust will enter.
The part which regulates the ignition of the fuses (we call it DELCO) seems to cause a little problem. It is one piece with 2 rotors connected by a black rubber belt. Since all the rubbewr work was hard and cracked when applying pressure on it (caused by the heat problem?) he is scared this rubber ring of the "DELCO" might be not performing very long anymore. It seems quite felxible to me and not too stiff, but the guy said as this one would break, the whole ignition is f***ed up and major problems ahead. So he asked Porsche what it would cost to get the ring, guess what: not available! Only the whole piece with a cost of 2500 euro!!! ($3700). So my question: should I be worried that the rubber might break? Will it cause big probs? Can you get the rubber ring somewhere individual?

Thanks,
Tommie
Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Tommie

The DELCO is more commonly refered to as the DISTRIBUTOR. The belt (i.e rubber ring) is a commonly sold part by Porsche dealers and I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to purchase this part by itself in Belgi um. It is important to renew this part if it has become stiff but will not cause any damage if it breaks, provided the car is not driven for extended periods of time after breakage. These belts were know to fail prematurely in model years which did not have a vent kit installed. This vent kit can also be purchased at minimum cost from a Porsche dealer and is recommended. Of course cost savings can be obtained if you're able to source these parts from someone other than a Porsche dealer.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Both the new belt and vent kit should be easily available in Europe for under 10 euor each.

If you are willing, the distributer can be rebuilt by you in a few hours. Go to the DIY section of the forum and you will find write-ups on what is involved.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contrary to both of the above posts, the official Porsche line is NOT to sell the belt. As the OP says, the only official solution is to buy a new distributor although I did believe that Porsche could offer a reconditioned unit at a somewhat lower cost than that quoted for a new part.

However, the belt IS available from other sources (Bert Gear at Berlyn Services - www.partsforporsche.co.uk for one) along with a new pin necessary for retaining the bottom gear after the original is drilled out. The parts are quite cheap but most people seem to be quoted 2 or 3 hours labour for the job to be done.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

Belt, vent kit (if you dont have it), caps and rotors should be done while your in there. Dont let anyone sell you a complete distributor if you dont need one.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Tommie

I remember (i.e about 8 years ago) purchasing both parts below, from a Porsche dealer here in Canada and it appears that the dealer was suppling the belt as a convienence, as there is no Porsche P/N associated with it.

The Gates part number for the belt is: 1234736001.
The Porsche part number for the vent kit is: 000.043.202.52

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
t-shark
Advanced

Thanks guys! Amazing...
Computamedic> Searched the partsforporsche.co.uk but couldnt find the belt and the pin you're referring to. Any chance you could help me with that...

Tommie
Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t-shark
Thanks guys! Amazing...
Computamedic> Searched the partsforporsche.co.uk but couldnt find the belt and the pin you're referring to. Any chance you could help me with that...

Tommie
The belt is here priced at £10.

I can't immediately find the pin but if you e-mail Bert (bert@berlyn-services.co.uk) I'm sure he'll find it for you. Bert is the Technical Adviser for the 964 Register of Porsche Club Great Britain so he'll know what he's talking about.

Edit: There's a previous thread here where Indycam gives the part numbers of the pin (and a 'O' ring too)

Regards

Dave
Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
t-shark
Advanced

Hi, didn't got reply from that Bert guy. Want to go through with the belt ordering, but can't find the pin nowhere. Any ideas someone?
If I'm doing the ditributor, what parts should I definetely order to make it good? nothing is wrong with it now, but since I'm in there I definetely want to change the rubber belt.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pin and oring

look at the post above your last reply and click here indycam list the part numbers, go to porsche and order. cannot get anty simpler
Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
t-shark
Advanced

Hi dutchcrunch, like i said the belgium dealer doesnt wanna do anything which is smaller than the complete distributor. There is no VIN for belt and whatsoever...
Since Im located in europe I wanted to order at www.partsforporsche.co.uk but can't find the pin thing...
Old 03-23-2008, 02:42 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default pin

i can get the pin, can you get the oring, how do you want to do it??
Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default pin

you can go to pelicanparts.com and they are 2 us dollars each, they shipp international. if i were you i would order 2 or three just in case you dont crimp it right the first time, they are cheap. shipping should be cheap as they weigh nothing and can be shipped in an envelope. 930.602.922.00 is the number for the pin. you can get the oring from them too, and whatever else you need.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default pin go to a different dealer????????

go to a different dealer????????????? if its in the parts book you should be able to order it!!! they are dicking you around!!!!!! go to another dealer
Old 03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
t-shark
Advanced

Relax dutchcrunch, easy with the questionmarks... just ordered from pelican...
Thanks... So you mean the numbers like "930.602.922.00" are official Porsche numbers?
Then they would indeed sell it to me... Bastards....

Quick Reply: Ignition