Sponsored by:

964 cab vs coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meek
TR6, do you have a hardtop for your TR6? Surrey top, if I remember right? They look great in white over a red car; rally style. Hijack over...
No, I wish I did. The TR4's had the surrey top option which is equivalent to a Porsche Targa with fixed glass back window and removeable center section. The TR6 had the full steel top. But factory hard tops are getting hard to find. And the aftermarket ones look like crap.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:04 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If 911 = Sports car then 911 = Coupe.
Why pay for half a car? for the same money you can get an entire one!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I have one of each. Which is better? It depends on what mood I'm in. If the weather is nice, then I want to put the top down so I drive the cab. If I'm driving aggressively or the weather is bad, then I want a coupe.

Edit: The coupe is stiffer and quieter.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I sold my 993 cab to purchase the 964 coupe. I don't miss the top down feeling too much. I would, however, take a 356 cab!!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 PM
964California
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Cab is the Ultimate 964

I am on my second 1991 964 C2 Cab. I sold the first because I could only have one car - a station wagon. I finally have the opportunity to own a Porsche again. Bought the same car, just different color.

The first one was bought as a daily driver in California in 1999. I used it as such for 8 years and then regretfully had to sell. Over the past year, I realized it was perhaps the worst decision I ever made. I rectified it last week with the purchase of a “new” 964 Cab.

Common wisdom is that you want to buy the latest generation 964 possible (ie, ‘94 > ‘93 > ‘92 > ‘91 > ‘90 > ‘89 (which is only in C4) because various issues were rectified along the way. That may*** be true for Coupes and Targas. However, for a Cab, the 1991 is by far the best vehicle, especially a car made toward the back half of the production period. The reason is that (especially for a daily driver, someone who has kids, someone who might ever want to take more than one passenger), it is the latest model 964 that has rear seats.

If you want a 964 C2 Cabriolet with rear seats, the only options are 1990 and 1991.

***The reason I say that it may be true is that at this point, most of the problems that arose even in the 1990 models have likely been resolved. Even if there weren’t, the costs of repair / retrofits are not that great relative to the current value of these cars.

Regarding Cab vs. Coupe vs. Targe I chose Cab. I drove my first 1991 cab from 1999 to 2006 as a daily driver when I regretfully had to sell due to personal reasons (moving to a city with a baby and could only own one car, a station wagon). I loved the cab. It is not as encapsulated from the elements as would be a coupe, but it sure is marvelous with the top down on a nice or even metiocre day. It does just fine, however, in the rain. It is also so much easier to just pop the top down than is a targa. Though Targas sure do look nice. At this point, all of the 964s are so raw compared with a modern vehicle, that I wonder if it really makes a difference to be just a bit more encapsulated.

If you love convertibles, then I can’t see that it makes much of a difference if you are using it as a Daily Driver. Personally, I think Cabs look beautiful, especially with the top down. But even with the top up.

A lot of Porsche people seem to prefer Coupes over Cabs. But that seems to defy the numbers. Porsche made more cabs in the early 1990s than anything else. Why would they have done so if they thought people preferred Coupes? I wonder if perhaps one of the reasons Coupes are more expensivem now is that there were fewer made.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Coupe as a daily for me. I prefer the looks and quieter drive. There is something special about open air driving in a air cooled though. Cabs are relatively a bargain in the 964 range. Still tough to find a good one even though there is more inventory out there.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

My dad has a C2 cab, and I've done a bunch of miles in that car. It's a fun, but different experience. What impressed me the most is how solid it feels.
More things are wiggling and giggling in the cab compared to the coupe, but it's still pretty rigid and doesn't feel sloppy. My brother-in-law's Miata is a noodle in comparison.
Compared to a coupe, I like the subtle difference in sound in the cabin too.

Once out of town, the experience with the top down as you rip through 2nd and 3rd gear is pretty intoxicating.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on how you like to drive. if its just a casual drive back and forth to work on nice sunny days take the discount and scoop up a cab, usually 10k less money.
If you like to drive aggressively and want the feel of a race car then get a coupe. I love my cab but with the family growing and the need for a new SUV Family truckster might be considering putting it on the market in May. Let me know if you lean toward a cab.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

coupe for looks and rigidity. that silhouette.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultimately, its what type of driving experience you prefer. The cabriolet driving experience us unique (open air and sunshine). Coupe is a choice as well. Targa is a soft spot for me...but with the 964, it is the rarest model (short of the limited production models like the RS, Turbo, etc).

Its all about what you enjoy about the drive. Cabs and Targas all had chassis reinforced at the factory, so your not giving up anything when we're talking about spirited back road driving. If you are planning on regular track day events, than Coupe is the go to because cab and Targa have about 20% less regidity in the chassis at the limit without the roof despite the reinforcement by Porsche.

Last edited by Joseph Schneider; 04-20-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:13 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

cab = skin cancer. wear long sleeves and a big hat!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Originally Posted by creaturecat
cab = skin cancer. wear long sleeves and a big hat!

sunblock works well. Unless you like doing all outdoor activities in long sleeves and a big hat, and a big hat might blow off on the highway.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

[last lines]

Jack : I need a car. How about loaning me a couple thousand when you get out?

Reggie : What kind of car do you want?

Jack : A convertible. I'm a rag top man.

Reggie : [pause] Deal.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
[last lines]

Jack : I need a car. How about loaning me a couple thousand when you get out?

Reggie : What kind of car do you want?

Jack : A convertible. I'm a rag top man.

Reggie : [pause] Deal.
I think that was the first time I saw the 356 speedster. classic movie
Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Brentflyfish
I recently posted a question regarding my interest in a 1990 cab. Seems that many here prefer the coupes, so, my new question for the masses is.....

Which would you rather have for a daily driver, a coupe or a cab and why.
There is the obvious consideration of weather ......... if you live here in Vancouver where we have an average of 161 days (44%) of rain in a year (high is 197 days) you would not want a cab and maybe even a targa.

Enclosed a picture taken during one of the 161 days of rain.

The choice between a coupe, cab or targa is entirely personal preference.

IMHO only you know what body style stirs your coffee.

I learned a long time ago to only buy exactly what I want and not to rationalize the purchase of something that is almost what I want.

There are many decisions to make:

Body style - coupe, cab or targa
Transmission - manual or auto
Drivetrain - C2 or C4
Colour - many choices

The only one that can be reasonably modified subsequently is colour.

Difficult but not impossible to change the other three.

For me:
Body style - had to be a coupe would not have even looked at a cab or targa. I have another summer car that is a cab and it looks better (IMHO) as a cab vs. a 964 cab.
Transmission - had to be manual would never have considered an auto no matter what the price difference.
Drivetrain - would have considered either.
Colour - would have considered any colour if the body style and transmission was what I wanted.

We are buying used cars here so you cannot order exactly what you want. When I first looked at mine I was not keen on the colour or the big wing at the back.

Would have preferred black and a duck tail but I figured if it bothered me too much I could always make changes.

My choice is entirely personal so no need to get offended.

It does not mean I do not appreciate seeing a nice cab or targa ........ it just means when I am alone in my garage I want to be staring at a car that I can say YESSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!

So OP if a cab turns your crank that is all you need to consider.

Quick Reply: 964 cab vs coupe?