Sponsored by:

964 cab vs coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 cab vs coupe?

I recently posted a question regarding my interest in a 1990 cab. Seems that many here prefer the coupes, so, my new question for the masses is.....

Which would you rather have for a daily driver, a coupe or a cab and why.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Spilt the difference and go with a Targa! But seriously, based on my limited experience with one cab and 2 targas, I think that a coupe would be better for a daily driver. I have not owned a coupe yet, but am looking for one now.

The one thing that bothered me about the cab and targas, was that they always had some sort of leak on rainy days. Perhaps it was because they were older, but at times it became annoying. But then again, I love the car and always seemed to get over it very quickly. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I prefer the look of the coupes. If I were to get a cab I personally would not choose a 911, but rather a vehicle such as a Boxster. I do enjoy using the 964 as a daily driver, but I also have the use of the wife's vehicle for hauling stuff around. If I only had one vehicle the 964 might limit me with regards to some of my other interests, which require hauling gear around.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Good point about size of the car. I also have a 1995 classic range rover that I will use in bad weather / rain and snow. I too like the lines of the coupe best but you can't drop the top......
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

My coupe is my daily driver, so I may be biased. I had a targa, and also had my share of leaks and squeeks. My big thing with the coupe was I always was planning on track days, and a coupe fit into that a lot better. That being said, I do see a bunch of targa's and cab's at the track. I also don't live in an area where I would want to run the top down all the time. I use the sunroof a lot, but could llive without it if I had to. I think if I were looing, condition might play a bigger role than coupe, cab or targa would in my decision, if I had to get another, especially if I wasn't doing any track stuff. But mine isn't going anywhere soon.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I was one of those guys in the other thread. The single biggest anti-cab factor for me is the loss in chassis rigidity with the cab. I do not like cowl shake.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Coupe.....for the looks, security, and structural rigidity.....

Trending Topics

Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

No leaking top to worry about, no electric motors to brake and natural head protection from sudden rollovers = coupe
Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 AM
horn
2nd Gear

Cab. Does not need to leak (mine doesn't and Holland is not exactly a 'sunny country'). And when you are a cab lover, you can drive open when you can and closed when you have to. And chassis rigidity in a daily driver? I have driven 3 964 coupe's and this cab, but (except for the thrack experience) NEVER missed chassis rigidity on my cab at normal use.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 AM
t-shark
Advanced

I'm in for topless... I own a targa. One thing I noticed is that for coupes I like the black ones, for the targa seems that I prefer white. That is what my baby is going through right now!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you say PotAto or Potahto?... I don't care for cabs at all so I'm the wrong guy to chime in. If I wanted a performance based purpose-built car, I'd get a 964 coupe. If I wanted a touring rag-top, I'd get something else (Benz or BMW). The coupe is lighter, structurally more rigid, safer, faster, quieter, etc.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Geez, no wonder there seem to be so many cabs. for sale and not so many coupes. I also prefer coupes. I have a cab. (3.2), purchased as a compromise with the spouse, but have never really liked it. As stated above, I'd prefer a Boxster if I was to have a topless car. For me, the 911 was designed as a coupe and I like it that way.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 AM
hawk911
Race Car

got to balance the load. I'd take my cab any day as a DD. I like the top down and do every chance I get. I commute 40 miles each way to work in moderate traffic but still love the cab. I don't track, so there's the offset to the cab. IF I HAD TO, I could put a roll bar in and DE, but tracking is not in my budget.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
TR6
Drifting

I'm also in the school of thought that if I wanted a cab, I'd buy a different car than a 911. The 911's lines were designed to be a coupe. Turning it into a cab later in its life was a design compromise. The cab lines just look wrong on the 911. Visually, to me, it doesn't flow (with the top up or down). Honestly, I feel the same about Targas (no offense, Steve). That bulging hump on the back disrupts the fluid and graceful flow of the 911 roof line. If I were to get a cab, I'd buy a car that was designed from the begining to be a cab such as a boxster. Or a Triumph TR6 (which is the only ragtop I own). Those cars were drawn from their conceptual stage to be soft tops.

I prefer Jaguar XKE Coupes over ragtops for the same reasons. The Series 1 XKE coupe roofline is a beautiful sculpture. Automotive art.

Have I offended enough cab and targa owners for one post? Apologies in advance if I have...
Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

TR6, do you have a hardtop for your TR6? Surrey top, if I remember right? They look great in white over a red car; rally style. Hijack over...

Quick Reply: 964 cab vs coupe?