Cabriolet top troubles, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
sven911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabriolet top troubles, please help

Hello,
I am new to Rennlist, but already see the immense value it holds for it's members. As such, I am hoping that someone can offer some advice on my intermittent top troubles.

The car in question is a 93 964, c4 cabriolet.

The top will intermittently not work. Whether up, or down, there does not appear to be a pattern. I have troubleshot all of the micro-switches and motors. At this point i feel that i have no other option than to replace the Top control module at a cost in excess of $500.00.

Have any other members found either means to repair the module, or a cost effective alternative to the dealer?

My part number is: 911-618-313-01

Any help is very much appreciated!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

resolder the cold joints in the controler. PM FRED'S 964 and maybe he can give you some advice.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sven, I had the same problem, tried the microswitches, but it didn't help. The solder joints on the controller crack over time and don't get a good connection. I would drive the car with the top down and it would operate normally later. I think the road vibrations caused the cracked solder joints to make contact. Just remove the controller, get to the circuit board and resolder all the large solder joints and as many as the small ones you can. You may see the circular cracks around the pins, but maybe not. I used a 30X magnifier and saw several joints cracked. Solder them all anyway. It worked perfectly, I did it over a year ago. Do a search or PM me. Here are some pictures. The large pins at the top of the circuit board for the connectors had the broken solder joints.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jimq, that is actually your 964 behind my 993 in my Avatar. Ron took the picture when you helped with his Supercups.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
sven911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys!
Thanks for all the great pics and advice. I re-soldered the board, got it back in the car and readjusted the top. (I had unbolted the gear boxes to operate the top manually). All seems good. The solution makes great sense and is $600.00 cheaper than my alternative. Now let's hope I was paying attention in shop class!

Can't thank you enough, I was stewing on this one all winter!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought that was yours then I looked closer and that was my house !
I thought maybe you could help him out. How about posting a thread with some pictures of your renewed motor

Quick Reply: Cabriolet top troubles, please help