Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm fender test?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am fairly certain that the thermostat was stuck, which was causing the car to run hotter than usual before. I did the warm fender test again, and I can definitely feel that it is slightly warm, compared to before, where I felt nothing before.

I did the warm fender test, with the oil temperature reading slightly above the 2nd line, on the oil temp gauge.

Since it seems like I am going to have to drain some oil out to do this, I might as well do a oil change while I am at it. What oil and filter is everyone else running? I usually run 15w-50 in my M3, but I am not sure if that'd work ok in the Porsche as well.

thanks for all of the help!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

search on oil in the forum. As with all religious topics there are a lot of comments.

You can't go wrong with Brad Penn oil and a factory filter. But you can pay as much for oil as you would like
Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

The same thing happened to me when I was about 200 miles from home. Noticed that the temp gauge was almost in the red but found that I could take it easy going up the long hills and it didn't get hotter.
Just put your hand on the top of the right fender. It should be warmer than the left one. In my case, it was the thermostat. I replaced the whole housing because I didn't know the thermostat was available. I have noticed that the braided oil lines leak when they get old. This causes oil to get on the oil cooler, and then dirt sticks to it. The one I took out was 1/2 blocked by dirt and oil. I replaced my hoses with Aeroquip blue hoses and hose clamps. They work great.

Quick Reply: Warm fender test?