i'd try fabspeed.....check out their website, they do a good job
Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Meares
i'd try fabspeed.....check out their website, they do a good job
+964 on the Fabspeed recommendation. I've always had excellent customer service and the quality of the parts are second to none.

Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
all623
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just looked at the Fabspeed (I agree about the quality of their products) and noticed it does not have the provisions integrated into the pipe for the heat shields. Can they still be used and should I be worried about that? A lot of heat near the rear tire. The only other models I have seen made are Schnell and Maxspeed who do have the brackets for heat shields. I've heard of them but not familar with their fitment or quality. Anyone know?I also looked at Dansk but it only appears they make a sport cat.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dansk makes a cat bypass and it appears nice. It is just as pricey or more than some of the 100 cell cats. I have been torn on which route to go. I think if I went cat bypass, I would have a little guilt, but it is tempting.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

there was some testing done a while ago on the bypass solutions
i believe the best result was cat delete - Primary + G Pipe

i have the Cat - Primary Bypass - secondary setup now

i am moving to one of these to try to pick up some mid-range Hp and maybe top end

Cat bypass (f-speed) - Primary (modified with gutted internals and straight pipe with drilled holes for expansion) - Cup secondary by-pass (G-Pipe + tip in one unit, OEM) or the same with a stock primary depending on Dyno results.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:28 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious - the two shops I work with (Dan Jacobs and Auto Associates of Canton) both endorse the system Dan did on my car (before I owned it), which is Primary + Cat bypass (delete secondary). I'm sure there are reasons for both flavors, it would be good to know the pros / cons. In any event, I think we can agree that there's no purpose in going aftermarket when for $150 in parts you can delete the secondary and use a G-pipe and get a great sound (if that's all you are after) vs. buying a new muffler(s).
Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=24
Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Its also about weight reduction- the stock system is very heavy. If you delete one muffler you are left with the other which is heavy- a lighter replacement may be in order. You can delete both- too loud. I know, I tried.

Even my cat bypass was a heavy steel pipe that I ended up replacing with light 200 cel cat. It plus Fab primary muffler and G pipe is what I ended up with. And I tried just about every iteration- including nothing!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fabspeed products are terrific- my highest recommendation.

RSA w/ factory headers, cat by-pass (11 lbs. savings) and secondary by-pass. I'm very happy with this setup.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

There is really very minimal difference in EITHER bypassing secondary OR primary. The sound is a little louder with the G pipe. But keep in mind primary muffler is heavier and slightly more restrictive.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

I'd be curious if anyone had any experience with this:

http://www.cross-na.com/ViewProduct....8&CarMakeID=14

I like the idea of a full system concept - if it is well engineered...

FWIW, my car came with a Pri bypass (still has stock Cat and Sec) and is just a tad quieter than I would like...
Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM
all623
Instructor

I decided to work the opposite direction and start with a cat bypass instead of a sport muffler and see how that sounds and performs first.

I took many of your recommendations and ordered the Fabspeed cat bypass today. Another tid-bit they offered which makes sense- I will not need the heat shrouds, as any pipe will genrerate about 1/3 of the heat as the catalytic converter. They reminded me that the cats are designed to generate high temps to burn off emmissions, hence the need for the heat shrouds. Also, the Fabspeed is clearly lighter because it does not have the extra metal brackets, plus a lighter design and now, no need for the shrouds. Can't wait to install them. I'll give you a report and maybe a some sound clips.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
all623
Instructor

Originally Posted by MitchB
I'd be curious if anyone had any experience with this:

http://www.cross-na.com/ViewProduct....8&CarMakeID=14

I like the idea of a full system concept - if it is well engineered...

FWIW, my car came with a Pri bypass (still has stock Cat and Sec) and is just a tad quieter than I would like...
Interesting you mention the Cross. I called and inquired about their product. They do not have it in stock in the US yet. They were calling Japan to find out for me b/c they have had few other people ask. They owed me a call yesterday and I haven't heard from them. I will let you know what they report.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Originally Posted by all623
Interesting you mention the Cross. I called and inquired about their product. They do not have it in stock in the US yet. They were calling Japan to find out for me b/c they have had few other people ask. They owed me a call yesterday and I haven't heard from them. I will let you know what they report.
Also interesting is that I saw a magazine ad - could have been Excellence - where Cross listed this system in Titanium. Nothing abt it on the website, tho...
Old 03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Ed Zachary. Thanks for finding that!!!

Quick Reply: 964 Muffler Advice Needed