Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post: Heater blower removal without the heater bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 AM
frog964
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post: Heater blower removal without the heater bypass?

This is my first post on this great forum and I need advice on the heater blower removal. I have searched and seen threads/write up from Bill G on the heater bypass pipe, but was wondering if one could remove the blower without adding the bypass pipe if no heat was needed.

I live in Bangkok and do not need the heater, in fact for some reason the PO had already disable the heater blower, which means that I can only get the front fan to operate when the temp dial is on the blue dot, which is perfectly ok for me. My car has the full B&B header/exhaust system, with the heat exchanger (boxes). My questions are;

1) Can I just remove the heater blower, and basically plugged/close off the piping to the main cooling fan?

2) Are there any adverse effects of removing the heat exchanger boxes (in order to remove weight), ex. more heat from the header getting into to the engine? I already have the under tray removed.

3) I currently have the distributor ventilation tube connected to the heater blower piping, but it probablly doesn’t do it any good as the blower was already disable. So if I remove the blower, where should I reconnect the tube to get proper ventilation for the distributor?

Apology for the newbies questions, any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanes (frog964)
91 964 ROW C2 manual
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

This is very common on race cars. the bypass is only usefull if you want/need the heat exchanger boxes . An often seen soloution is to fabricate a piece of aluminium that fits into the hole to the engine fan (so you don't get your fingers in there). Drill a lot of holes in it to let the air out. Connect the distributor vent hose to one of these holes. Then take another piece of aluminium to block of the exit hole from the engine bay. You can also buy this parts from Fabspeed but it's much cheaper to do it your self.

here' a link/pic from fabspeed.

http://www.fabspeed.com/964_5.html
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM
frog964
3rd Gear

Thanks Thomas, have asked my mech to fabricate something similar.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
frog964
3rd Gear

Just wanted to show the end result...heater blower removed, heat exchanger removed, a few touch up here and there for the engine bay. Should have done this a long time ago...

Without the heater blower, the engine bay definitely less cramp.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't spend much time traveling in my engine compartment, so I would rather have fully functioning heat in the cabin where I spend most of my time.

Quick Reply: First post: Heater blower removal without the heater bypass?